Discussion - General Discussion Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rystil Arden

First Post
orsal said:
It is a separate item, per RAW. From the rules for scrolls:

(Emphasis added.)

So a CLW scroll written by a bard is in an essential way different from one written by a cleric or druid. In this respect scrolls are unlike wands.
I knew all of those details, I just still didn't initially consider it to be different personally, regardless, but that's exactly why I figured it was made an exception.

Knight Otu

First Post
Bard scrolls and sorcerer scrolls cost more than their counterparts because their minimum caster level for those spell levels is higher than that of clerics, wizards, and druids.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Bard scrolls and sorcerer scrolls cost more than their counterparts because their minimum caster level for those spell levels is higher than that of clerics, wizards, and druids.
See, now actually, it is not always the case--take, for instance, Druid scrolls of Cure Moderate wounds. It costs the poor Druid 3 * 5 * 12.5 = 187.5 GP to make it, but the market price is only 2 * 5 * 25 = 250GP.

I realise, though, that Bards do have CMW as a level 2 spell, so yeah, they don't get price-screwed.

Knight Otu

First Post
Well, technically, the market value would be 375 gp... it's just that no sane person would buy it at that price when clerical scrolls more than 50% cheaper are available. Those druids probably aren't very much in the business of cure scrolls as a result. ;)

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
Well, technically, the market value would be 375 gp... it's just that no sane person would buy it at that price when clerical scrolls more than 50% cheaper are available. Those druids probably aren't very much in the business of cure scrolls as a result. ;)
Actually, I don't have time to look for it, but I can guarantee you that the market value is 250GP due to a clause that states that market value is calculated based on the cheapest price anyone could use to make it (x2 then, of course). It's definitely there--that's the one I mistakenly applied to the bard scrolls.

Ironically, this means that the correct market price for a scroll of Hideous Laughter is 50 GP.

Dungannon

First Post
While this is an interesting discussion, let me go on record as saying that the scrolls now in possession of DiSenzio's Shop are, indeed, clerical scrolls and not bardic scrolls.

Patlin

Explorer
I think there's an assumption that Bards and Paladins with scribe scroll are hard to find, thus the lack of discount for hideous laughter and lesser restoration.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Patlin said:
I think there's an assumption that Bards and Paladins with scribe scroll are hard to find, thus the lack of discount for hideous laughter and lesser restoration.
I think that since text beats chart (standard rule) that it was a chart mistake and that the market price should indeed be lower by RAW. I've never had anyone try to buy a scroll of Hideous Laughter (a hideously bad idea, since the DC is so low), so it hasn't mattered for anything other than Lesser Restoration for me in home games. Then again, I usually make my PCs at least tell me where they intend on buying their expendables, and if it isn't from a church that has Paladins, then the church will inflate the price above market price anyway (and the Paladins will often request that the difference between market price and the cleric-scribing price be added as a donation to help the needy).

Patlin

Explorer
SRD said:
Since different classes get access to certain spells at different levels, the prices for two characters to make the same item might actually be different. An item is only worth two times what the caster of lowest possible level can make it for. Calculate the market price based on the lowest possible level caster, no matter who makes the item.

Yes, technically the market price is lower than expected for lesser restoration etc.

How silly.

orsal

LEW Judge
Knight Otu said:
Well, technically, the market value would be 375 gp... it's just that no sane person would buy it at that price when clerical scrolls more than 50% cheaper are available.

Unless that person happened to be a bard and wanted to use the scroll himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads