Discussion - General Discussion Thread XI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Manzanita

First Post
Boddynock said:
Since there is no restriction on replacing an animal companion (it's just a 24 hour process to call a new companion), unlike a familiar, I would suggest that average hit points is appropriate. Otherwise you bump up the power level unneccessarily.

Normally, I would use the HPs as given to the standard creature in the SRD, then adjusting it for additional HDs and CON. I think they use average there, and by extention, we should use average going forward.

Velmont

First Post
BigB said:
Actually, that works out well for the character. I was not sure if he had to have 8 ranks before, or if he could reach the 8th with his 1st lvl of assassin.

They are requirement. You need to have it to be able to take a level in that class. So it is before.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
I'm pretty sure that there's already a character with levels in Fighter (thug). Is that variant allowed?
I guess it must have been voted in at some point. Assuming the character was planning on wearing light armour anyway, trading one feat at the beginning for 2 skill points every level and better class skills is terribly unfair (what fighter wouldn't do this trade? I guess just people using it as a dip class who wanted a feat at level 1). Reduce the HD by one step to 1d8 and I would vote it in (if it isn't already in).

Knight Otu

First Post
Rae ArdGaoth said:
I'm pretty sure that there's already a character with levels in Fighter (thug). Is that variant allowed?
I suspect that this refers to Ogrin Brutatfist, that's the only "thug" mention I could find. From a quick look at his character sheet, I suspect that he is not using the Thug variant - he is simply calling his Fighter/Rogue multiclass a 'thug' (Vanitri did something similar, didn't he?) - For instance, as a Rog3/Ftr2 with 14 Int, he should have 72 skill points if he were using the thug variant. He does however have 68 skill points, which is the correct amount of skill points for a vanilla fighter. Maybe someone else should double-check, but I'm pretty sure about that.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Knight Otu said:
I suspect that this refers to Ogrin Brutatfist, that's the only "thug" mention I could find. From a quick look at his character sheet, I suspect that he is not using the Thug variant - he is simply calling his Fighter/Rogue multiclass a 'thug' (Vanitri did something similar, didn't he?) - For instance, as a Rog3/Ftr2 with 14 Int, he should have 72 skill points if he were using the thug variant. He does however have 68 skill points, which is the correct amount of skill points for a vanilla fighter. Maybe someone else should double-check, but I'm pretty sure about that.
I bet you're right. A Fighter/Rogue is very thuggish too, I agree--it's as I said in the other thread, multiclassing and attaching a name to it often works well to create some hybrid archetypes. The only exception is a hybrid involving a caster, since multiclassing casters in 3.X doesn't go well for you.

orsal

LEW Judge
Knight Otu said:

While I have read the Thug section out of curiosity, I don't recall having ever pored over the details as I would need to do if I had ever screened a character submission. So, I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten such a character approval request. If I had, I probably would have first noted that the class didn't exist in LEW, since it isn't in the house rules.

In the case of Ogrin, I have approved Ogrin at least once, and I am quite confident that I checked the numbers on the assumption that they were for a Fighter-Rogue multiclass combo. Since Ogrin has been approved at every level, it would seem that the numbers do add up. So, this thug is not a Thug but rather a Fighter-Rogue.

Bront

The man with the probe
BigB said:
Actually, that works out well for the character. I was not sure if he had to have 8 ranks before, or if he could reach the 8th with his 1st lvl of assassin.
No, you have to meet the reqs before hand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads