(Discussion) General Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
Regarding the Healing discussion and Wands.

This is my response as a DM, not a Judge (which I would want to confer with CS/Garyh for first...).

As far as partially charged wands go, I am ok with them being mad ewith as few as 20 Charges. You could very well buy one from a Church, though I'd determine how many charges it had randomly (D100/2 for example) and price it accordingly.

Keep I mind that a Bard-created wand is going to cost more, as the Bard has to be higher level to cast CLW (Spell level1Xcaster level 2 X 750GP=1500GP). The cost of a Bard-created CLW wand (while a very interesting concept) becomes rather expensive. Likewise a Paladin-created one would cost much more...

I think that Zoe (Thels' Paladin) would have no trouble buying scrolls/potions/ even wands from her church, though a request for 20 potions/scrolls would most likely exceed availability, or perhaps not.

As far as folks getting a cut-rate from their Church etc, I woukd give this a No off the bat, as it would assume a benefit not as-of-yet-deserved. Good roleplaying would surely result in favorable prices, or even gifts.

For example, Remi,Katherine,Telerin and Aranel would have a much better experience with such a situation now that they have aided the Oakheart Lodge, a Druid/Ranger group.

Macbeth

First Post
I completely agree with Uriel, but I also want to bring up something slightly less important: isn't it time for a new thread? Discussion II is up to 15 pages, so we might want to move into a new thread, just for organization.

Uriel

Living EN World Judge
I agree, Macbeth.

As well, though this might be better in the Etiquette thread. Folks, please don't post in someone else's adventure unless you are involved with it.
I'm not sure if Meepo's post in GW's adventure means that he is joining, but I seem to remember one by The Forsaken One in Janos Audron's a few days ago.

WizWrm

First Post
Velbrik's Stutterstep
Illusion (Shadow)
Level: Brd 1, Sor/Wiz 2
Components: V,S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Personal
Target: You
Duration: 1 round/level (D)

This spell allows you to smoothly step back and forth between the Material Plane and the Plane of Shadow. Whenever you take a move action, up to half of the movement, as determined by the caster, may be taken on the Plane of Shadow. You cannot be affected while you are 'phased out,' but you must begin and end your turn in the Material Plane, so this spell does not allow you to avoid attacks or ongoing effects. For example, if you move a total of thirty feet, you may move up to fifteen feet, or three squares, while phased out, and therefore you are not subject to attacks of opportunity you would incur by passing through those squares. However, the first and last five feet of movement must be taken on the Material Plane, so you would still be subject to an attack of opportunity for moving out of a creature's threatened area, if applicable. This spell does not grant surprise or deny creatures their dodge or Dexterity bonus to AC. You may not move anywhere you could not move normally, with the exception that you may move through a square occupied by another creature while on the Plane of Shadow.
---------
Hope that's not too confusing. I tried to make it about as good as expeditious retreat of the same level. Is it too powerful?

Last edited:

Thomas Hobbes

First Post
Uriel said:
Keep I mind that a Bard-created wand is going to cost more, as the Bard has to be higher level to cast CLW (Spell level1Xcaster level 2 X 750GP=1500GP). The cost of a Bard-created CLW wand (while a very interesting concept) becomes rather expensive. Likewise a Paladin-created one would cost much more....

I was under the impression that anyone with the wand's spell on their list could use it- that is, cure light wounds wand is usable by clerics, bards, and druids all the same. The line from the DMG is "Specifically, anyone with a spell on his or her spell list knows how to use a spell trigger item that stores a spell." 'Course, the line before that says that if a wizard picks up a wand or a staff and it contains "a wizard spell," then they can use it, so it's a tad ambiguous. I think the fact, however, that even with wands that store spells on multiple lists, you don't roll randomly to see if it's a "cleric spell," a "wizard spell," or whatnot would indicate that anyone can use them.

Macbeth

First Post
Wow, this is why I love LEW: what the players create. The spell looks fairly goood, WizWrm. I like the effect, and making it a 1 lvl Bard spell is nice: a bard might actually enter combat, so being able to avoid some AoOs would be nice. It is, to the best of my cursory examination, balanced, but I'm only one of the four judges, so we need to wait for CS, Garyh (who was traveling last I heard) and Uriel.

Pyrex

First Post
Thomas Hobbes said:
I was under the impression that anyone with the wand's spell on their list could use it- that is, cure light wounds wand is usable by clerics, bards, and druids all the same.

Anyone with the spell on their list can use the wand. Even if they can't cast the spell yet.

What Uriel is pointing out is that it costs more for Bards & Paladins to create wands because their minimum caster level is higher.

Ex: Clerics can cast CLW at Caster Level 1, therefore they can create a wand of CLW for 1(Spell Level) x 1(Caster Level) x 750 = 750gp.

Bards can't cast CLW until Caster Level 2 so they have to create the CLW wand at 1(Spell Level) x 2(Caster Level) x 750 = 1500gp

garyh

First Post
Macbeth said:
I think Gary's watching this one, but since you, Gary, and I all volunteered we obviously have no shoratge of judges for this one.

Hehe, well, I'm on it. It the first game I'm officially Judging, actually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads