(Discussion) General Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

garyh

First Post
Macbeth said:
Wow, this is why I love LEW: what the players create. The spell looks fairly goood, WizWrm. I like the effect, and making it a 1 lvl Bard spell is nice: a bard might actually enter combat, so being able to avoid some AoOs would be nice. It is, to the best of my cursory examination, balanced, but I'm only one of the four judges, so we need to wait for CS, Garyh (who was traveling last I heard) and Uriel.

The spell looks good to me, but balance issues have never been my strong suit. Perhaps we could use the House Rules forum as a form of peer review?

garyh

First Post
GnomeWorks said:
Okay, so, here is the final draft for the Delmontes technique feats... pretty much everything is the same, except that I modified the final feat to limit the threatened range to 10 feet, and upped the damage dealt by another die (to d8 for medium, d6 for small).

Now Delmonte just needs to survive long enough to invent the feats!

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

WizWrm

First Post
garyh said:
The spell looks good to me, but balance issues have never been my strong suit. Perhaps we could use the House Rules forum as a form of peer review?

Done. I'll post the final version for review, though I'd like to get it confirmed/rejected before Velbrik levels up. Feel free to make comments on the spell as it stands; it's possible that there will be few, if any, changes.

garyh

First Post
WizWrm said:
Done. I'll post the final version for review, though I'd like to get it confirmed/rejected before Velbrik levels up. Feel free to make comments on the spell as it stands; it's possible that there will be few, if any, changes.

I'll keep an eye on that thread.

Velmont

First Post
Uriel said:
Likewise a Paladin-created one would cost much more...

Sorry to contradict you on that one, but a Paladin will create a wand of CLW at the same cost of a bard, even if he access his spells at 4th level, it is the caster level that is important, wihch is 2nd for a 4th level Paladin. It is still pretty costly, too much to create it, as it is the same cost as buying it, but with an extra XP cost.

Velbrik's Stutterstep

I like the spell, but there is something I don't like. It is not in the balance of the spell, but in the concept. Travelling between planes, I always have seen that as a hard feat of magic, and doing such at first level spells, is pretty strong, even if it is only for a short time.

Maybe it could be a level higher, as you can consider that spell to be an automatic success on any tumble check made, and in that case, could easliy be compare to invisibility, who is virtually an automatic success on Hide...

This is my suggestion, but I hope it will not slow your creation works, because it seems well started.

Kahuna Burger

First Post
Uriel said:
I think that Zoe (Thels' Paladin) would have no trouble buying scrolls/potions/ even wands from her church, though a request for 20 potions/scrolls would most likely exceed availability, or perhaps not.

As far as folks getting a cut-rate from their Church etc, I woukd give this a No off the bat, as it would assume a benefit not as-of-yet-deserved. Good roleplaying would surely result in favorable prices, or even gifts.

well, aside from bargining and roleplaying and such, can we come to an understanding on what, if any, magic items characters can expect to purchase without a quest? Aside from a wand of cure light wounds (which I think is going to be a neccassity for remi and katherine's current party) I'm interested in katherine picking up a Light wand. In theory, it would be very useful for her to pick up a Daze wand (a cantrip for both bards and sor/wiz's) but light and detect magic are the only cantrips listed in the generic wand assortment. (perhaps because they are on (almost?) every spell list, generally as zero level.)

Kahuna burger

Thels

First Post
The easiest way is to set a max gold for commonly available stuff. Then everything in the DMG that's not customized (like weapons and armor with special enhancements) up to that cost should be commonly available.

Wands of practically all spells can exist, but if they're not in the DMG, they're not appearing frequently and thus aren't automatically available.

When setting a gold limit, it doesn't mean anything above that automatically isn't available. One could ask and the Judges could call availability on the item.

I agree with Velmont that a 1st/2nd level spell seems quite low for a planeshifting spell, even though it's not too powerfull. It makes planeshifting lose some charm.

Last edited:

Creamsteak

Explorer
The GP limit in Orussus is 20,000 gold pieces. This is pretty high, and mostly because of the Red Dragon Inn, which fuels the magic item community around there. Any items up to 20,000 gold pieces in value can be purchased with a smaller amount of time invested.

Urile, can you report how many days have passed in your adventure?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads