(Discussion) General Part III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thels

First Post
Perhaps it is a little high, but it's probably gonna stay a base of operations after characters leveled up a lot, and it would be awkward if the gold limit would go up along with the highest level chars.

Afaik only one night passed in Trek to the Vinyard, which went pretty much synchrone with the first nightpass in the Inn. Not sure that's the adventure you mean, though.

Manzanita

First Post
Manzita's Post

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but as I'm considering creating a new character, I thought I'd examine the characters already created. This is what I found. Our of 41 approved characters:
21 are human
6 elves (3 high, 2 grey, 1 wood)
3 dwarves
3 half-elves
5 halflings
2 gnomes
1 half-orc

1 barbarian
3 bards
3 clerics
2 druids
5 fighters
1 monk
4 paladins
3 rangers
9 rogues
2 sorcerers
7 wizards
1 aristocrat

Velmont

First Post
You should lock (Discussion) General Part II. It isn't and some may continue to post on it by mistake or willingly, and that would split the discussion...

WizWrm

First Post
Velmont said:
Velbrik's Stutterstep

I like the spell, but there is something I don't like. It is not in the balance of the spell, but in the concept. Travelling between planes, I always have seen that as a hard feat of magic, and doing such at first level spells, is pretty strong, even if it is only for a short time.

I do agree with you on this point - a first-level spell "shouldn't" be able to do things like this, even if they're mechanically reasonable. Likewise, you shouldn't have a first-level spell that summons thunderclouds and rains fire for a mile radius, even if it only does 1 point of damage to 1d4 buildings in that radius. I thought about that as I was designing the spell.

However, I couldn't really think of another way to achieve the same effects magically; something like "This spell grants you +20 to your Tumble checks for 1 round/level," seemed just too lame to me. Plus, I liked the image, which was what made me write this spell up in the first place.

I guess if you wanted to think about it another way, Summon Monster I does the same thing; it summons a creature from another plane (in this case, the caster is summoning himself to another plane, briefly), but "trades" mass (you can't summon in a dragon with Summon Monster I) for the magical bonds that forces the creature to obey your commands. Since you don't need to command yourself, that energy can be diverted to summon a higher mass; like planar binding lets you summon more powerful creatures than summon monster, but you don't automatically have control of them. It sort of makes sense.

Velmont said:
Maybe it could be a level higher, as you can consider that spell to be an automatic success on any tumble check made, and in that case, could easliy be compare to invisibility, who is virtually an automatic success on Hide...

Well, it's not really an automatic success on any Tumble check, which is what invisibility might do; at most it's +20 to the skill for 1 round/level, which is a better bonus than jump, of the same spell level (though it's not a better bonus after caster level 5), but for 10% of the duration.

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
garyh said:
Now Delmonte just needs to survive long enough to invent the feats!

MWUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

Hmm... well, thanks for giving the go-ahead for the final draft. :)

But his name is Delmontes, not Delmonte. :p:D;)

GnomeWorks

Adventurer
On an entirely different note from my previous post...

Should there be a thread specifically designed for player contributions? For instance, it seemed rather difficult to get my feats okay'd and have a continous conversation about them, as there was a lot of other conversation going on in this thread. I think it'd be easier to contribute new things if there were a thread specifically for it, that the judges could look over quickly and see all the new ideas.

I also think that there should be a record thread that keeps track of all the player-created additions, such as WizWrm's spell and my feats, once they're all okayed. That way people know what the final and official draft is, and all that fun stuff, though it should probably be noted what is currently available and what isn't (everything should be put there, but it should be noted that the Delmontes feats won't be available, until Troi researches them, at which point they'd become available, one at a time).

Macbeth

First Post
Good ideas, GnomeWorks, I think that having one (Record) thread for all the approved feats, spells, and such, would be a great idea. I'm not so sure about having another thread just for the submissions, I know that the original idea had been to take up as little space as possible, but if we don't need to be THAT worried about space, then it sounds good. I'll wait for a few other judges to sound of their opinions, and if there are no objections I will log into the judge acount and get those threads started.

Velmont

First Post
I have a suggestion for you WizWrm, it have the same goal, but not really the same effect.

You summon shadows. These shadows preceeds you and follow you, leaving a trail of shadows which is hard to see where you are.

If you move up to 5 feets, the shadow is just around you like a small aura and give no bonus.

If you move up to your movement, you have a one-half cover(20%), as you leave a shadowing cloud.

If you move more than your movement (double move or running), you have a 9/10 concealment(40%) as you leave a shadowing trail.

The bonus remain until your next initiative. Blindfight can help someone who attack the target of the spell.

So, what do you think of it. Ok, it doesn't allow you to tumble better, but it give you a chance to be missed if you have to move around someone. It can be almost as good as displacement, but in that case, you can only move, and if you do a full attack, you have no bonus, so it is a lot more tactical than blur or displacement.

If it is too strong, you can add that the spell is not as effective if in an area of a daylight or something like that.

Last edited:

Erekose13

Explorer
WizWrm:
How about something a little less extraplanar - Fancy Footwork or Quick Reflexes. Which while moving grant the user +20 tumble for 1rd/level.

I know that you said that you didnt like something so mundane, but really at 1st level I dont see someone being able to step even partially into the plane of Shadow. Shadow Walk is about 7th level if I remember right.

Another spell to balance it against is from Magic of Faerun, uh... I cant remember the name of it, but it is a 1st level Cleric spell that grants the caster +10 to any one skill, the ability to use a skill untrained or proficiency with a weapon. So I think that straight mechanics wise +20 tumble for a short period of time would be fine. Or perhaps given that it might encompass more than one move maybe make it scale a bit (+10 +1/caster level max +30) that way higher level casters will be able to avoid AoA even better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads