(Discussion) LA+ race availability - read post first, please vote.

Would you support LA+ races for LEW charcters and under what circumstances?

• No, I don't want LA+ races at all

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • Yes, with [i]negitive levels[/i]

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Yes, with [i]racial levels[/i]

Votes: 8 36.4%
  • Sort of, with [i]lesser versions[/i]

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes, with [i]PC Tradeout[/i]

Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Yes, with an[i]other[/i] option explained below

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • I neither oppose nor support LA+ races

Votes: 1 4.5%

• Poll closed .

Knight Otu

First Post
orsal said:
I can't speak for Knight Otu, so I don't know on what grounds (s)he claimed...
Me's a He.
whitbiggrin.gif

Creamsteak

Explorer
A couple things to think on for those of you with opinions:

No change in xp on trade out (I trade a 4th level character for an ecl 4 character)
Static change in xp on trade out (-1 level throughout all levels)
Linear change in xp on trade out (1/2 or 3/4 character level trade out)
Dynamic change in xp on trade out (explained below)

Dynamic change would be something like "I trade out a PC race character for another PC race character with level change x" OR "I trade out a PC race character for a 'easy' monster as race character such as a Goblin, Kobold, Orc, or Drow at a x-1 adjustment" OR "I trade out a PC race character for a 'difficult' monster as race character such as a Lycanthrope, Yuan-ti, or Kuo-toa at an x-2 adjustment" OR "trade out for a 'very difficult' monster as race character such as a Vampire, Hill Giant, or Ogre Mage at a x-3 adjustment."

I'd be in favor of a more dynamic trade out system over a linear or static change, and I wouldn't support an equal level trade out at all.

The Goblin King

First Post
Creamsteak said:
I'd be in favor of a more dynamic trade out system over a linear or static change, and I wouldn't support an equal level trade out at all.

It seems fair but I think the specifics should be worked out. Drow don't belong in the 'easy' column. The SR and innate spells are too much IMHO. Why can't we do NewLevel=(OldLevel-1)-RacialLA ? If you wanted to swap out a 5th level fighter you could change to a race with an LA of 3 and then take one level of wizard. This could also apply to dead characters. If you die you can make a new character at -1 your old characters level.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
For me two cents, I have been DMing for 23 years, well, some playing as well, and the standard races are a bit boring after playing them to death for so long a time. It seems as though the argument for not wanting the LA + races is that you don't want monsters running around the town, which is absured, because I have an Orc right now in an adventure, the very thing you didn't want, and it is here without a LA.:p

As far as the LA races go, I understand why so many of you are in favor of them. It rewards players who have achieved at least first level. However, I think it is unfair for those who are just starting out. Logically it doesn't make sense to get a character and raise him in levels and then pick a new guy to play and create a new personnality. I think that the "Simple" method that Creamsteak propsed )-1 to all saving throw, skills, etc,) is best as if is fair to all. As a secondary option, I support a trade out, level for level, when you either die or retire.

crueldespot

First Post
I voted for "Yes, with an option I would describe below" which is this: LA races are OK - BUT ONLY those described in the SRD. I think it would be very dangerous to start taking proposals for new player-created races that have level adjustments.

DM-Rocco

Explorer
I voted for "Yes, with an option I would describe below" which is this: LA races are OK - BUT ONLY those described in the SRD. I think it would be very dangerous to start taking proposals for new player-created races that have level adjustments.
I guess I would agree with this as long as player could still propose races of 0 LA.

Remove ads