Discussion: Laws and Legalities in Daunton

Fragsie

Explorer
Do the Lords have actual power? I didn't know that. In Love Bites, I'd assumed that Brunt is the nominal head of government, who has to maintain the approval of the Politica as a sort of parliamentary body. Brunt has a fairly free hand in most of the day-to-day stuff, but if he pisses off the Politica too much, they can toss him out and put up another mayor in his place, sort of thing. The nobility don't have much direct, official power as individuals; they have to work in concert to really accomplish anything governmentally. Which they almost never do; too much squabbling and infighting. On the other hand, the nobility have the power and influence (and money) to go outside the law when they feel like it: private armies, bounties on people they don't like, etc. It's that last bit that had Brunt all stressed in Love Bites.

As for justice, it's on record that Brunt thinks adventurers are a necessary evil, that without them and their unruly ways the city would quickly be overrun by horrors. So he's prepared to bend the rules for them and look the other way if a few dead criminals turn up from time to time. It's when the PCs start killing nobility or roughing up ordinary citizens that things get a little heated.

That all makes sense, although I envisioned the mayors office, Lord's council and the Politica as separate, yet interlinked entities.
Looking at London here in the UK, we have the Mayor's Office that is responsible for the running of the actual city; funding for the police, transport, utilities etc, the Houses of Parliament who debate and propose law and policies, are responsible for diplomacy and finally the House of Lords who must ratify any laws passed by the parliament and are notorious for spending money to influence what goes on.

While; as you say, the Lords Council is no doubt full of infighting, bribes and bounties, and they rarely get anything done, the politica is comprised of the younger members of the lords families, I imagine that this presents them with an opportunity to rebel against their parents or a chance to prove themselves.

renau1g

First Post
You also have the Queen, the nominal head of state. Actually, technically the queen is still the head of Canada as well, the Governor General is her representative here.

Tomalak

First Post
Elizabeth II is the Queen of England, Canada, and fourteen other sovereign states and territories that together make up the Commonwealth Realm. She's also only 7 years shy of setting a record for the length of her reign.

RedBeardJim

First Post
Okay, how strict is the definition of 'murder'? Because a wandering band of sociopaths is rampaging through the warehouse district leaving a bloody mess. And I'm curious as to whether is normal for criminals' deaths to go unnoticed by the authorities. I may wind up having to turn them in anyway, and just see what happens...

I will point out that we *did* try the talking route first -- then they shot us.

Tomalak

First Post
Gellan watches the two crossbow bolts slam into his new comrade, and a red haze begins to fill his vision. "Enough with mercy, enough with restraint! You shall all die!" He dashes forward with blades flashing, leaving two of the hapless humans lying in a pool of their own blood.

"I don't fear death, do you?" A bestial anger seems to fill his eyes as he charges toward the dwarf. He passes by a goon and deflect the blow with his shield and then push aside the second goon in his path with his sword, killing it.

Zharne wildshapes rushes to Thorn's side then he jumps between the human and the shifter, he succeeds in dodging the thugs blow in which Thorn sees an opening in the thug's defense and attacks but misses then the transformed elf lands and use the crate's side to launch him towards the other human on Thorn's right side, Zharne then viciously attacks and kills the human which bloodies Zharne's fur.

"Minarath, stop staring and act!" Gloom move forward and charge the human. The human easily evade the blow. "You're soul will go to Lauto."
Adventurers. Sociopaths.

:DI'm particularly fond of Gellan's line, btw

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
You should see some of the things Sheng and Incarnation say when Intimidating. (Those two should be in the Peanut gallery more ;))

Tomalak

First Post
I'm betting those two aren't running around in a one-healer party wherein that individual is a pacifist, though :) . It's providing some interesting opportunities for roleplay, to be sure.

Remove ads