Discussion - LEW 4th Edition

Wik

First Post
Bront said:
Might I suggest waiting till 4E and L4W or whatever it's called actualy happens? Buidling the world when we don't know the rules set is jumping the gun a bit. Building it in another living forum is a bit... distracting.

See, I dunno about that. If we were to start work on designing a world in May, I don't think we'd be ready to actually *run* things until, say, July or August.

That could be fun and all, but I'd personally like to be playing in the summer, when I actually have the most time to devote to posting.

Besides, I like building a world, and we don't truly need to know the rules to make the world - so long as we know the basics.

Rystil Arden

First Post
Wik said:
See, I dunno about that. If we were to start work on designing a world in May, I don't think we'd be ready to actually *run* things until, say, July or August.

That could be fun and all, but I'd personally like to be playing in the summer, when I actually have the most time to devote to posting.

Besides, I like building a world, and we don't truly need to know the rules to make the world - so long as we know the basics.
I'm not sure if I agree, especially with some of the curveballs they've been throwing. They just showed us a gigantic rework of the Lower Planes. If we had worked on a history for tieflings before that happened, it probably would have been mucked up, particularly if I was involved (I have a soft spot for the Erinyes and probably would have used them in some capacity).

Bront

The man with the probe
Wik said:

Yes, but a few comments.

1) you won't have enough people ready and familiar with 4E till a few months after it's released (not everyone will get it immediately, and it takes some time to get the hang of a new rules set)

2) How the races and classes function is being changed on some level, as well as some races are being removed initialy but could be added (and in the SRD no less) later. If Gnomes for example aren't in initialy, and 3 months later pop into the SRD, that could be a problem.

3) Important things like how deities work will require some basis in the rules as well.

I'm all for world building (I was working on my own till things petered out, mostly due to a lack of interest on other people's part, and writers block on my part), but I think knowing some of the default rules and setting asumptions will help in creating the next LEW.

Gnomes and Halflings changed between 2nd, 3.0, and 3.5, enough to where some assumptions that might have been made about them would have proven invalid. And classes we never thought of may exist (Warlock could be core, Warlord is mentioned as a class, at least 1 class is biting it, potentialy Monks or Bards?).

Plus, since it won't be LEW 3.5, discussing it in the middle of the LEW discussion thread isn't probably the best place.

I'd at least wait till just before the PHB comes out, ride the wave of interest, and work on it then. I'm interested in world building (I've had some fun god ideas, and had a lot of LEW input in rules and content creation so far, and I came late to the game here), but I just don't think now is the time.

Creamsteak

Explorer
As others have said I don't think you need to get too deep into the setting/world-building right off. I can say that it's not even necessary right-off. LEW started with just Orussus and people were fine with that.

Knight Otu

First Post
As I said before, December/January may be the best month to start earnest discussion, that's when those preview book thingies come out (Races/Classes and World/Monsters), which should give us some idea what to expect. Until then, I think any discussion that goes beyond the merest basics is rather futile since we know so little.

Rystil Arden

First Post
B4cchus said:
How where the judges/decision makers positions filled at the dawn of LEW? or better even, at LEB?
I'm not positive about LEW, but I think it was a brain trust started by Creamsteak. As for LEB, it sort of just...happened. I know that relatively compared to any other living campaign except for something on Greyhawk, Eberron is the world I'm least qualified to judge, but somehow I wound up being a founding judge there before I became a judge in LEW, where I'm more qualified to judge.

stonegod

Spawn of Khyber/LEB Judge
B4cchus said:
How where the judges/decision makers positions filled at the dawn of LEW? or better even, at LEB?
KO founded LEB and recruited Bront and RA initially as they were pretty vocal in its initiation and known over here. Ferrix and I were added soon after since we demonstrated an Eberron affiliation and high activity; other judges were added similarly as time went on. I assume a similar process occurred here and in LS.

Creamsteak

Explorer
Original LEW judges were volunteers that had been active. There was one single incident where there was some arguement involved early on, but it essentially it was just friends and friends of friends that were already on a lot.

Solange

First Post
Dargon said:
I have a question about the job system.
Can a character on job be in the RDI? (As to pick up adventures).
Yes, you just can't be on an adventure.

A judge should be able to confirm this.

Remove ads