[Discussion] Lost Love OOC

Mezegis

First Post
Given that Pis was able to be raised as of Sat night, do we want to have an RP ending in the main LL thread, or just call it as is and filter in to the tavern at our leisure?

evilbob

Explorer
I was hoping twils would give a wrap-up post in the main thread (and LadyLaw too if she gets a chance). :) But if anyone doesn't feel like it, that's cool, too.

LadyLaw

First Post
I would, if I had any idea at all what to do, but I don't. I'm thinking Tal will probably be retired. Just too much happened and I didn't get to RP it out at all, and I don't think I can now. Especially with the wrap-up that we got (i.e. captured and tortured), I think she would just come out of that as something that I'm not interested in playing anymore.

I have no idea how to post a wrap-up for her under the circumstances of the adventures end, so I haven't yet, and probably won't. She'll be sidelined until I can figure things out, but at this time it seems unlikely that she'll be coming back.

Antithetist

First Post
:(

Well that sucks. I dunno, I don't want to stick my oar in where it's not welcome, because obviously Talkrai is your character and what you say goes. So, well, if you'd prefer that I mind my own business then just say so. But it strikes me that one of the nice things about RP characters is that it's always a choice how they respond to the things that happen to them. In real life sometimes people get broken beyond repair, but in D&D they don't (unless you want them to). This isn't Call of Cthulhu, where every bad thing that happens to your character takes them measurably closer to breaking down into an unplayable state. In D&D you can always choose to have your character stay strong through adversity.

I just want to stress that the way I see it, you have options right now with Talkrai. If you liked the character, and wanted to keep playing her, then I don't see any reason to let events beyond your control take her away from you. Sure, she's had a hard time, but through all that she's had comrades who are suffering alongside her and are willing and able to support her through it (and who could use her support in turn). Those are exactly the kind of circumstances that sometimes enable real people to stay sane in horrible situations.

Just my 2 coppers. Sorry if I'm being presumptious.

twilsemail

First Post
LadyLaw, do you want us to wait for you in the main post or just wrap and head to the tavern? I'd love to see you continue to play Talkrai, but I can also understand a desire to retire.

LadyLaw

First Post
Please, don't hold up on my account. I appreciate the vote of confidence from all of you. I really do.

Anti, I understand where you're coming from, but without the chance to really RP what happened to her, I don't like just saying she pulled through damaged but ok. To me, given her initial outlook and all, this was just a lot to get dropped on her. If we'd gotten to RP it more, and you guys trying to help her or whatever, then maybe she'd be better off. However, my characters tend to have life and I try to have them have realistic adjustments to what they go through based on their background. Well, as realistic as you can get in a fantasy world.

She's been betrayed several times now, including by someone she saw as a friend. Then captured and tortured by a group containing another friend's brother. Given what she is, I just don't think she's going to come out of that as something I still want to play. I'm not saying she can't come out of it, just that I can't reasonably do it in a way that will make her something I'm still interested in RPing.

I just don't know. I've been trying to work this out for a long time. Since before we finished the last fight really, when Pis was dead and changed. I thought with some RP things might work out, but we didn't get there. Now, I just don't see it.

KarinsDad

Adventurer
Anyway, I guess it all comes down to context, and the situation itself. It's hard to kill a PC, frankly, and a lot of factors come into play. Not the least of which tends to be luck: in this case, Pis had a +8 against OAs or something like that and he still got hit - twice - for exactly his HP total. There was about 10 different ways the dice could have favored him, but it didn't happen.

I must have missed something when I read it.

I thought Pis had +3 vs. OA (Artful Dodger) for an AC of 24 versus two foes that were +14 to hit (55% chance to hit each for an average of 10.5 damage each) and one foe with +10 to hit (35% chance to hit for an average of 5.5 damage). Average damage, 13.95 for a PC that has 14 hit points. It looked like an average result.

What am I missing that Pis had such a huge bonus against OAs?

Remove ads