Pathfinder 2E Ditching sacred cows

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I'd be curious to see if Pathfinder 2E ditches any sacred cows in order to establish an identity more distinct from D&D.

The language of Pathfinder is the same as the language of D&D, for obvious reasons -- fighters, armor class, hit points, magic missile, ankhegs, holy avengers. Sure, Paizo has piled on a ton of their own IP on top of that, but the core language is still the same.

On the other hand, that language provides a strong link to the game's legacy when mechanics diverge. It's what says "this is the evolution of that fantasy game you've been playing since the 1970s".

Well race has already been dropped for ancestry. But otherwise I can't see it. Unless there is real game improvement for changing they won't, it makes moving editions easier. Or real world reasons like people seeing races a problematic term

Agamon

Adventurer
I won't be much of a fan if a player needs X feat to even attempt to do Y. That's a steak I'd like to see thrown on the grill.

Shasarak

Banned
Banned
Why would they want to establish an identity more distinct from DnD when they are DnD?

They already have their own DnD distinction with Golarion.

They did mention getting rid of the 3-18 starting stats, in favor of switching to the modifier as the only thing you write down. That's a start, at least.

Yep. Saw that and i love it. Ability scores are almost completely redundant and a source of confusion for new players

Ancalagon

Dusty Dragon
The 3-18.... the only use for that is rolling. So as long as there is a way to roll for your stats (the modifier I mean) why not?

Remove ads