• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Divine Haste?

Scion

First Post
FreeTheSlaves said:
It delivers a hefty benefit as a free action, something which the haste spell can't do unless quickened to a 7th level slot, albeit affecting the whole party.

Ok, I'm a self confessed conservative dm, at the slightest concern I slam the brakes; however something here has got me thinking of power creep.

As compared with this?

srd said:
Boots of Speed: As a free action, the wearer can click her boot heels together, enabling her to act as though affected by a haste spell for up to 10 rounds each day. The duration of the haste effect need not be consecutive rounds.
Moderate transmutation; CL 10th; Craft Wondrous Item, haste; Price 12,000 gp;Weight 1 lb.

So, without spending a feat and without needing to burn any turn attempts, and available to any character class, spending 12k and a pair of boots they can have haste for 10 rounds a day.

Compared with that i'd have to say that the feat is 'very' weak.

If divine might comes off looking weak in comparison to the haste feat then likely divine might is also very weak ;)

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
Scion said:
So, without spending a feat and without needing to burn any turn attempts, and available to any character class, spending 12k and a pair of boots they can have haste for 10 rounds a day.

Compared with that i'd have to say that the feat is 'very' weak.

If divine might comes off looking weak in comparison to the haste feat then likely divine might is also very weak ;)

A 12k magic item can be available to an eighth level character going by the 1/2 wealth on any one given item. The divine haste feat gives a variable 'duration' if we activate it over consecutive rounds, is available 2 levels earlier at 6th level, is slotless, frees up wealth, costs a precious feat, uses up a limited but rechargable resource which paladins naturally have a good number of.

Divine might is a very strong feat choice (too strong and running against class theme imho); using it as a benchmark is possibly encouraging powercreep as it is not a core rules feat. What I would recommend is to compare a divine haste paladin with a core rules paladin; the comparable feats would probably be cleave or weapon focus as these are generally recognized as strong feat choices.

As written I am slowly coming to a conclusion that the divine haste feat as written should be available at a minimum to a 9th character, if it should be allowed at all. Thematically I am having difficulty drawing the dots between channelling positive/negative energy & imbuing oneself with heightened speed, not to mention it is stepping on the wizard/sorcerers toes.

Last edited:

Scion

First Post
I'd consider giving up a feat and a class feature as a 'much' higher cost than 12k and a boot slot.

Along with that, from what I have seen in play divine might isnt a very strong feat choice with the change it made to 3.5 ::shrugs::

12k and a boot slot for 10 rounds a day vs a feat and a class feature and likely much less? This isnt even a real choice ;)

So, in my eyes and with your last comparison: Boots > Haste feat > divine might
And the boots arent exactly a powerhouse to begin with..lol.. the phrase, 'useful but hardly necissary' springs to mind.

But then there arent a whole lot of good choices for boots anyway, but there are 'tons' of good choices for feats.

FreeTheSlaves

Adventurer
SidusLupus said:
Edit: Would allowing Divine might without power attack as a requirement be overpowered?
Divine vigor might be a better pre-req, it seem to me to suit better thematically. It does mean that a paladin can't get divine haste until 9th level but a cleric1/fighter5 can still get this at 6th level... Making 2nd level turning ability as a pre-req would lessen this exploit as taking a 2nd level of cleric is generally seen as poorer value.

Remove ads