• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[DIY] Area of Effect Markers for Battlemats (Free and Easy)

OakwoodDM

First Post
They're great for marking small effects, or for marking conditions. We've got a load of red ones that we got from Coke bottles and use for denoting bloodied creatures... Just hang them around the mini's neck, or let it slip down around the base.

Genius. Seriously, genius idea! Plus, an excuse to drink unhealthy amounts of fizzy drinks! There is no downside. (I know, I know, my dentist would disagree...)

KKDragonLord

First Post
i have considered making AoE markers with wire, that would allow to apply the area without removing pieces from the board, i still need to get around to do it though.

grimjaws

First Post
i have considered making AoE markers with wire, that would allow to apply the area without removing pieces from the board, i still need to get around to do it though.
I've made a set from floral wire and floral tape. I tried a coat hanger before and found it too much of a pain to work with. The floral wire is easy to bend, and with a pair of pliers you can make fairly nice 90 degree corners. I used my battle mat as a template until I figured where exactly to grab the wire with the pliers. The only drawback to my set is that the wire only comes in 18" lengths. So for the larger templates I had to tape pieces together. I did this by overlaping the two pieces by an inch and then winding tape around them. For my next set I am considering butt welding the pieces together.

weem

First Post
I've made a set from floral wire and floral tape. I tried a coat hanger before and found it too much of a pain to work with. The floral wire is easy to bend, and with a pair of pliers you can make fairly nice 90 degree corners. I used my battle mat as a template until I figured where exactly to grab the wire with the pliers. The only drawback to my set is that the wire only comes in 18" lengths. So for the larger templates I had to tape pieces together. I did this by overlaping the two pieces by an inch and then winding tape around them. For my next set I am considering butt welding the pieces together.

Excellent idea! I think I made do this today, thanks, hehe ;)

--edit--

*sees it's grims first post*

Welcome to EN World!

Holy Bovine

First Post
The paint chip idea is awesome. Never thought of it before but the next time I'm at Home Depot I'm picking up a couple dozen :)

For marking conditions I got some hair elastics from the dollar store - $1 for about 600 multi-coloured tiny elastics works great for marking any kind of condition you can think of.

weem

First Post
The paint chip idea is awesome. Never thought of it before but the next time I'm at Home Depot I'm picking up a couple dozen :)

For marking conditions I got some hair elastics from the dollar store - $1 for about 600 multi-coloured tiny elastics works great for marking any kind of condition you can think of.

Thanks yea - lots to choose from there...

...and wow - never thought of that one either (hair elastics) despite my wife having millions of them laying around, hehe (they are all black, but still). Yea, those are just right for dropping around a fig!

Remove ads