• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM as Facilitator or as Adversary?

Is the DM meant to be more of a Facilitator or an Adversary?

• Facilitator

Votes: 164 91.6%
  • Adversary

Votes: 15 8.4%

Treebore

First Post
Rel said:
[In Case It Wasn't Clear, MOD HAT ON]You can hold whatever opinion you want about the question so long as you hold it nicely or silently. Saying that the question is stupid is NOT doing either of those.[MOD HAT OFF]

Sorry, In my real life I don't look at stupid as being a "bad" word. Its a reality. I do stupid things all the time and am not afraid to admit it or to call it stupid. So I guess using the word stupid on ENWorld is a stupid thing to do so I'll do my best not to be stupid anymore.

Sorry to everyone who has a problem with the word stupid.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Treebore said:
Sorry, In my real life I don't look at stupid as being a "bad" word. Its a reality. I do stupid things all the time and am not afraid to admit it or to call it stupid. So I guess using the word stupid on ENWorld is a stupid thing to do so I'll do my best not to be stupid anymore.

Sorry to everyone who has a problem with the word stupid.

All is forgiven. Go now and sin no more. ;)

Vigilance

Explorer
I would vote both as well. The DM needs to facilitate the game. Sometimes that requires giving the players what they need, rather than what they want.

Sometimes this entails things I'd classify as adversarial, like pitting them against a foe who hands them thair @$$ or having a treasured magic item stolen.

When the GM does these adversarial things, he is facilitating.

Rel

Liquid Awesome
Vigilance said:
Sometimes this entails things I'd classify as adversarial, like pitting them against a foe who hands them thair @$$ or having a treasured magic item stolen.

Please don't try to circumvent the profanity filters by using clever alternate characters. Especially when you can just type ass. Ass is not filtered. Please use it responsibly. ;)

Vigilance

Explorer
Rel said:
Please don't try to circumvent the profanity filters by using clever alternate characters. Especially when you can just type ass. Ass is not filtered. Please use it responsibly. ;)

I know ass isn't filtered, I was being hip, like all the cool kids these days ;)

DaveMage

Slumbering in Tsar
Rel said:

You're a moderator cut from a different cloth, Rel...

:lol:

Rothe

First Post
EricNoah said:
All of my players are also DMs, and specifically have DM'd me either a lot or at least once. For us, the illusion of "Rrarrr! I'm the adversary!! Wink-wink!" doesn't fly because we know all of the tricks of the trade. It's like designing a funhouse for guys who design funhouses for a living. We admire a good solid design, we ooh and ahh over something innovative or different, and we sympathize when something doesn't work out as well as planned.

I get the greatest pleasure, as DM, out of setting up a challenge and seeing the players stretch their tactical thinking, use their available resources (including things like environment/terrain) to their advantage, make gutsy choices, and utlimately I like to see them victorious. Doesn't mean I hand it to them. But I'm definitely rooting for them and excited when they succeed. I'm certainly not interested in beating/defeating them -- that's not part of my DM vocabulary.

Well said. Using the OP choices I'd have to say facilitator...of adventure. There is certainly an adversarial component in that I run the enemies and they pull no punches (no fudged dice rolls for example). However, I also run the PCs friends, support structure, those who don't give a hoot about the PCs, the weather, etc. The part I enjoy the most as a GM is when the players come up with an approach that I hadn't even thought of or get very lucky or unlucky and adjust accordingly.

Bagpuss

Legend
Crust said:
Never, NEVER adversary.

QFT.

The NPCs and Monsters in the adventure are the adversaries.

If a DM is adversary he will always win as he can alter the gameworld reality to suit his whim.

Remove ads