D&D 5E DM campaign disputes.

Eltab

Lord of the Hidden Layer
As a DM, I would never consider trashing somebody's character when they weren't there.

Because I expect to see them next week and have to explain to them what happened.

There IS more happening here than meets the eye, hopefully somebody else from OP's group - and the new group too - and their DM - can stop in and explain more.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
In post 13 I made a not-so-subtle troll reference.

Is there a chance of this being that?

Sorry. I see trolls everywhere. EVERYWHERE!

jasper

Rotten DM
Smokey Criminal “…Waking up married to a Kender,…” Hmm Boom, click Boom, click Boom, click Boom, click Boom, click. Drag Drag. Pull cord. Pull Cord. Chainsaw roaring. Cut cut Cut. Bag! Bag! bag!
“ What $500 deposit for a wood chipper! Here’s your dough!” CHIP! CHIP! CHIP! Bag! Bag! Bag!
BLEACH! BLEACH! BLEACH!
We will have no discussion about why Smokey is missing. You understand.
ok me funning with smokey is over.
I hope the DM is new. But if the two groups of players are going to play together, this has to be put into the "it never happen box.". Otherwise it time to get a new dm.

akr71

Hero
Take your character sheets, find a new DM and either start over or pickup from where you left off - not where the old DM left off.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
Sounds like there's a lot of dysfunctional behaviours here, including the need for a player to gather opinions from the internet to support some kind of "case against the DM" (sorry, but that's what it sounds like).

Bottom line is, the DM is the boss, and if you don't like your boss and/or aspects of their behaviour...

If you get on well with them, and think there's a possibility you could help them improve, then you try and have a mature conversation about your perspectives, see if you can agree on some changes.

It you find them an irredeemable jerk / idiot / etc, you move on...

This would normally be my response as well, until i read the actual details of what happened. The actual details however are so far from acceptable behavior that it made me do a double take. I cannot imagine "the DM is the boss" applies to "playing the player characters as NPCs in an adventure with other live players to their detriment without them even being there or knowing anything about it". That's not "DM is the boss" that's "Person who also happens to be the DM trying to be a boss of other People who happen to be Players". It's nowhere near in the realm of being the DM to take over a player's characters for them, without their knowledge. It's the one area clearly carved out as not being in the domain of the DM - the PCs are played by the Players. It's in the name - PLAYER character.

hastur_nz

First Post
You are correct, but missing the point I intended to make. I stand by my analogy simply because you can't really fire your DM and employ a new one; typically the DM has arranged the campaign, so at best the players can decide to leave the campaign, and find a new DM (you could even keep the same characters, but good luck trying to run the same campaign); same as you can't usually fire your boss, you leave your job and find a new one. Doesn't mean the boss is "right", same as it doesn't make the DM's behavior anywhere near acceptable.

MNblockhead

A Title Much Cooler Than Anything on the Old Site
You are correct, but missing the point I intended to make. I stand by my analogy simply because you can't really fire your DM and employ a new one; typically the DM has arranged the campaign, so at best the players can decide to leave the campaign, and find a new DM (you could even keep the same characters, but good luck trying to run the same campaign); same as you can't usually fire your boss, you leave your job and find a new one. Doesn't mean the boss is "right", same as it doesn't make the DM's behavior anywhere near acceptable.

Depends. If they are playing a published AP, sure, they can find a new DM to pick up where they left off.

If there were playing in the DM's home-brewed world, then they'll be done with that campaign setting, but there is nothing to stop them from bringing there characters into a new world if they are quite attached to them.

It may be tricky to find a new DM to take over running an ongoing campaign, but it should be quite simple for one of the current players to take over the DM role and continuing the campaign that way.

Remove ads