• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM or GM?

Do you prefer the term DM or GM?

• DM

Votes: 195 49.6%
  • GM

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Both

Votes: 91 23.2%
  • Neither

Votes: 19 4.8%
  • Huh?

Votes: 7 1.8%

CarlZog

Explorer
Call me whatever you want, as long as you can manage to show up at the table!

I've never really liked how different games adopt different terms for this (storyteller, game control, referee, gm, dm, god, etc.), but I do tend to defer to the publishers' preferences depending on whatever game I"m playing.

Carl

Laman Stahros

First Post
In 1e AD&D, I thought of myself as a DM, but then I was running dungeoncrawls alot. I never really liked it though. After I joined the US Navy in '83, I played so many other games that used GM instead that I got used to that term. By the time I started running 2e AD&D, I was a GM. And so I have been ever since.

In my mind, a DM is the master of running dungeon crawls. I run a game in a world, involving cities, wilderness, dungeons, and so many other areas of my home brew game world. This is why I use the term GM, because I master a game, not a dungeon. YMMV.

Drowbane

First Post
DM, regardless of game system or genre.

Doug McCrae said:
Dungeon Master sounds like a weird sex thing.
Which brings up a related quirk, for me its always just "DM", never "Dungeon Master".

I guess I'm just lazy like that.

Then again I call it D&D, not Dungeons and Dragons... unless someone asks "Ok, so whats D&D?".

Last edited:

Baduk

First Post
DM pretty please

I think GM is just a decent alternative for getting around the copyright. It's like saying "vertically challenged" when EVERYONE knows you mean dwarf (or gnome, halfling :p)
So unless you're using it in official material I'd say please use DM but I'll accept it if my players would call me GM (it's the "master" that does it eh?) :D

lol @ all the S&M references, dirty minds etc

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads