• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM problems

Idayen Relanite

First Post
Thank you Loki3, I'm now attempting to put a group togather from some names off of the first site you gave me. Hopefully the game will turn out well.

thank you everyone else for your responces, i wasn't sure if should leave till now, because without me the group is left to the DM and his best friend, with a differnt person every game.

Last edited:

Zogg

First Post
Why don't you just try telling your DM? Ask him that, occasionally, you guys may try to (naturally) step out of your cramped play pen to explore alternative solutions or entire adventures...and the answer shouldn't always be that you die for your creativity. Good DMs are malleable and (should) never tell PCs "that's stupid". If the conversation goes poorly, then it's time to get out.

Cerubus Dark

First Post
Zogg said:
Why don't you just try telling your DM? Ask him that, occasionally, you guys may try to (naturally) step out of your cramped play pen to explore alternative solutions or entire adventures...and the answer shouldn't always be that you die for your creativity. Good DMs are malleable and (should) never tell PCs "that's stupid". If the conversation goes poorly, then it's time to get out.
There are times I will tell my players their idea is stupid. Like when they want to send a scout swiming in a pool of acid to see if there is anything at the bottom. That is stupid, and just plain nuts.

Now if a PC wants to climb to the top of an old mast (without aid) and remove a sail fine make me a balance check at against a DC of 24, opps ya fell? Take 2d4 points of subdual damage and your stunned for 3 rounds.

Wicht

Hero
I gotta admit that 55 points of damage is an awful lot of damage for a fall. At about 3.5 points of damage per 10 feet you should have been about 150 feet off the ground to take that much :eek:

Idayen Relanite

First Post
I have tried many times to talk to him, but he is as stubborn as they come, but yeah, i've managed to get a group of 4 of us to try to start a campaign. I'm looking forward to it. Oh btw, the ship was a sailing ship from the D&D 3e DMG book. and that seams way more reasonable, 2d4 and 3 rounds stunned....

but as i said i think the DM enjoys killing me, and he is currently trying to kill his bestfriends character now that i quit, and his bestfriend is so pissed that if he has his character die he will never play with him again. lol, nice little drama, but thanks everyone, hopefully both me and his bestfriend will end up with a bit more reasonable DM...

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Idayen Relanite said:
examples, we are stuck in the middle of no ware, and our sail has been burnt in a fight. We see a ship, and row to it. It is abandoned and i ask if it has a sail, he says yes, i say i try to climb up and get it. He responds thats impossible and stupid, roll 5 successful DC 26 balance checks and 2 successful knowledge sailing checks DC 24. I failed my 3rd balance check, he rolls the dice, and says you take 55 falling damage. I say i just died, oh well, then moves on as if nothing happened, and i'm stuck sitting around for next 4 hours while they play and not allowed to reenter because it is impossible while they are slaves......

And you didn't kick him in the face? That's what I call self control!
Anyway, as you said that he has been told about his problem, I'd certainly leave the game and never play with the guy again.

Idayen Relanite said:
but as i said i think the DM enjoys killing me, and he is currently trying to kill his bestfriends character now that i quit, and his bestfriend is so pissed that if he has his character die he will never play with him again. lol, nice little drama, but thanks everyone, hopefully both me and his bestfriend will end up with a bit more reasonable DM...

Just ask his best friend to join your campaign. And ask the rest of the old party, too. Chances are good everyone hates his style now and they'll leave his game. If I hear stories like yours I wish roleplaying (and especially DM'ing) was like driving: you have to do a licence for it, and if you screw it, you're out.

Remove ads