DM Quest Reward Items

abs

First Post
So... I have a question about the DM Quest Reward Items. I DM'ed the Out of the Abyss adventure, at least most of it, and handed out Dawnbringer, which is essentially a sentient sun sword. That sword is listed as Legendary, a rarity that can't be claimed by the rewards program. However, another poster seemed to make the claim that the sun sword item, with a rarity of Rare, could be claimed as part of the reward program. I was curious: Can a DM claim a sun sword, a rare magical item, after awarding Dawnbringer during an AL sanctioned event?

rooneg

Adventurer
Sadly, you cannot. You didn't give out a rare sun blade, you gave out a specific legendary sun blade named Dawnbringer. The item you get from Dedicated DM (or from the various quests that give you an item that you handed out in a game, like Herald of the Storm King) only work for the specific items you handed out, not any generic versions of that item. For example, if you run the adventure that gives out Shadowsong (a specific Oathbow) you can give yourself Shadowsong (which happens to only work for rangers), but not a generic Oathbow (which has no ranger-only rule).

If you want the generic version of one of these items you need to give it out in a game, which these days usually means rolling it randomly in a Storm King's Thunder game (unless there happens to be another AL adventure that gives it out specifically).

rczarnec

Explorer
No. You would have to give out a sun blade in order to use the DM Reward to give one out. Dawnbringer (and the CoS Sunsword) are different items that are based on the sun blade, but are not the same.

Remove ads