DM runs an adventure you know

MonsterMash

First Post
Crothian said:
He was actually trying to keep that he was running a module from the players, I think. I just reconginzed some things and it came to me what he was running. He knows, heck the whole group does, that I do have more contact with gaming material then the rest of them. I'm not going to provide him with a list, we talked about it and will talk about it in the future. I don't want him to avoid modules because of me. That's not fair to him (since it helps in his pre time) or the other players (talking to gamers about common modules is a cool thing).
Crothian,

I think you have more contact with gaming material than most of the rest of us on ENWorld as well (except maybe the store owners and other staff reviewers).

For modules I like to read ones that I have played through so that I can then write a fully playtested review, but that probably means that I'd never want to play in it again (might wish to GM it if its good) as post review I really will know too much detail to make it very hard not to either metagame or be kind of bored by it.

diaglo

Adventurer
read the story hour in my sig. :D

i have read/run/used/abused/ etc... i have a lot of D&D experience. a whole lot. and as such my DM, Olgar Shiverstone, knows this and makes changes as needed. he also wants to use the stuff he has purchased.

for those in the group who haven't run or played the adventures i keep it under wraps until months if not years later. and then only tell them about specific areas we may have missed.

even though, the story hour is written from my character's pov he is not the leader. in fact, he is the antagonist. ;)

Thornir Alekeg

Albatross!
I'll let the DM know if I have played in a module or DMed it before. I'll limit my driving the story during this time. In some cases it has been good as I have had the opportunity to pay a little less attention to the story and focus a little more on my roleplaying the character. On at least one occasion, doing this allowed me to finally really figure out how I wanted to play a character that, up until then, had pretty much just been stats on a sheet.

As a DM if one of my players knows the adventure, I will trust them to not use player knowledge. If they do, bad things may end up happening to their characters when the opponents suddenly seem to gain amazing knowledge of that player. If I have time, I might make a few changes to the adventure just to shake up the player with advanced knowledge and hopefully make it a little more fun for him or her.

Chaldfont

First Post
I played in the Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil campaign once with a group of people I had just met. So I kept the fact that I knew the module to myself. I even used my knowledge of the adventure to spice things up--never doing "the right thing" but always "the most interesting thing".

After all, I was playing a character--HE knew the adventure about as well as I know how to cast a fireball spell.

TheAuldGrump

First Post
I happened to me three times with the same adventure and the same DM each time. He never bothered reading any other adventures, so we went through T1 every time he ran a game, and since I was in all of his groups I played in every danged one... I like T1, but I got sick unto death of playing it. And to make it worse the reason he liked the module is because he had played in it when I ran it, so he knew full well what he was doing, and that I had read it cover to cover....

The Auld Grump

Bront

The man with the probe
I don't think I've been run though more than 5 pre-gen modules in my life (outside of cons), and I've read very few others. It's just not how my groups tend to play.

Ao the Overkitty

First Post
This has happened to me with one module.

I started playing the Planescape module 'Harbinger House' back in 94-95, but the group folded. The GM shortly after left gaming community and sold me all of his D&D books. So, now owning the books, I read them all. 98-99, in an effort to get him back into gaming, I sold him back all his books and got him to start up a new Planescape game. By the time late 2000 rolled around, we were back playing Harbinger House.

It had been years since I read it, so my memory was a little fuzzy. I just reduced my player input for the parts I remembered.

Remove ads