DM runs an adventure you know

der_kluge

Adventurer
This is specifically why I tend to avoid running published modules, for free that some grognard in my group is going to have played it at some point in their past.

Crothian

First Post
LordMelquiades said:
It might be tricky given the sheer number of adventures you read Crothian, in particular that you read quite closely (for reviewing purposes), but can you supply a list to your DM of adventures you have played/read? Maybe categorised into 'Know very well/know well/know a bit'?

He was actually trying to keep that he was running a module from the players, I think. I just reconginzed some things and it came to me what he was running. He knows, heck the whole group does, that I do have more contact with gaming material then the rest of them. I'm not going to provide him with a list, we talked about it and will talk about it in the future. I don't want him to avoid modules because of me. That's not fair to him (since it helps in his pre time) or the other players (talking to gamers about common modules is a cool thing).

Crothian

First Post
der_kluge said:
This is specifically why I tend to avoid running published modules, for free that some grognard in my group is going to have played it at some point in their past.

So, you don't trust the players you game with to not meta game and ruin it?

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Crothian said:
This has happened to me a few times. Without knowing it, the DM uses a module I have read or even run. I am always upfront with the DM once I relaize it and try to reduce the choices my cvharacter makes so that the party leads the group and not me. And that can be hard because lots of times I'm party leader. Now, I don't want the DM to not be able to run certain modules or take away from the experience of the other guys who have never gone through them.

Does this happen to others? What do you do? As a DM will you change things to make sure the player doesn't know or would you trust the player to not use the knowledge he has? Players, are you up front with the DM or do you hide the fact that you are familar with it? Do you act on the knowledge or try to diminish your importance?

Yeah, that's a tricky one. I would imagine that once you've been honest about it, you can get the DM to check with you in the future with the names of store-bought adventures he's going to run. You really have to kick back, let the other players decide everything, and even allow them to boss your character around (if that isn't completely against your nature). It can be fun to know that another PC has just ordered you to almost certain doom and have to hope your dice will get you out of it. However, if that did happen and the DM was unwilling to check with me (assuming I was a guy who played in a great many store-bought adventures before), I'd likely bow out of the game if it happened repeatedly.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Crothian said:
Not me. I found a good group of guys and I can enjoy the game even if I knew every adventure from here on out.

I think I would find other ways to game with those same guys if that was the prevailing sentiment but I'd have to question the "good-ness" ( ;) ) of a DM who repeatly put me through adventures he knew I had already played. It like someone always inviting you over to dinner but purposefully serving meals where most of the dishes are things to which he knows you are allergic. However, I rarely do other than DM so that will never be my problem.

It's happened a few times, particularly when I was an avid SR player given the fairly small number of SR adventures. I had one GM run me through the same module three times (different characters & players several years apart). Being a GM I'm accustomed to making decisions for NPCs based on their incomplete knowledge so it wasn't that hard.

It did itch a bit when we didn't get the extra spiffy stuff during the Mercurial run, though.

S'mon

Legend
As GM I usually clear it w players in advance, unless it's a free WotC dungeon-of-the-week download. As player I'd tell GM if it was a scenario I knew, I guess if they still ran it I'd either excuse myself or agree w GM on my role - maybe play an NPC or something for that session.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I let the GM know I know the module, and how recently I ran/adventured in it.

I basically try to let the other players take the lead and not use my knowlege of the module.

If the party bogs down, I make sensible suggestions that, hopefully, do not give away spoilers.

I don't reveal my knowledge of traps, etc. keep the party from getting killed- even my own PC- unless the PC figures it out himself.

I know that sounds ideal, but its only come up twice, so it wasn't too difficult.

Remove ads