DM runs an adventure you know

Castellan

First Post
I've played a couple of adventures that I had played/DMed some time before. In most cases, I look for legitimately different (or sometimes wrong) courses of action and suggest them. I never use prior knowledge to my benefit, and I always let the DM know in private that I'm a veteran of the game.

My best roleplaying has happened in a module where I knew that my suggestion was to follow a major red herring. I was pretty convincing, too. When the other players joked with me about what a stupid mistake I made, I sat there and took my lumps while the DM grinned evilly. :)

RichGreen

Adventurer
Hi,

It's happened to me a couple of times and in both cases I made sure that I didn't use my player knowledge as character knowledge, although on the first occasion, the GM had changed the adventure almost beyond recognition. The second time, I kept pretty quiet as it was a puzzle-based adventure.

Cheers

Richard

Crothian

First Post
RichGreen said:
The second time, I kept pretty quiet as it was a puzzle-based adventure.

Luckily there are no puzzles in the current one I need to worry about. There was once that there was a puzzle trap room, and I just avoided it letting the rest of the party get trapped in it and deal with it because I new the answer and felt it was best to just remove myself from the situation.

the Jester

Legend
It comes up from time to time. Right now the dm of the game I play in is running a mod of S4, which I know pretty well. But my character doesn't; and I try to keep my knowledge separate from that of my character's (even going so far, last time, as to check with the dm regarding whether my character had a certain piece of info, or whether I was remembering from past experiences).

As a dm, I tweak everything that I run from a published source.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Crothian said:
Luckily there are no puzzles in the current one I need to worry about. There was once that there was a puzzle trap room, and I just avoided it letting the rest of the party get trapped in it and deal with it because I new the answer and felt it was best to just remove myself from the situation.

And the two sessions before, I missed another adventure I'd run before. The thing is I really like this GM -- perhaps it's because he likes the same kind of adventures I do!

Cheers

Richard

Crothian

First Post
RichGreen said:
And the two sessions before, I missed another adventure I'd run before. The thing is I really like this GM -- perhaps it's because he likes the same kind of adventures I do!

THat is something I wouldn't do, miss an adventuire becasue I happen to know it. I don't think one should be punished becasue the DM happens to use an adventure one happens to have read. As long as the DM and the Player are up front about it and trust each other, I've found it works well.

Psion

Adventurer
I think the real pain would be when he runs an adventure that:
1) Has twists that are spoiled by advance knowledge, and,
2) adventures you know you don't like.

Hmmm... one adventure I can think of right off the bat fits both of those categories.

RichGreen

Adventurer
Crothian said:
THat is something I wouldn't do, miss an adventuire becasue I happen to know it. I don't think one should be punished becasue the DM happens to use an adventure one happens to have read. As long as the DM and the Player are up front about it and trust each other, I've found it works well.

No, I missed it because of other commitments. I wouldn't have missed the game because I knew the adventure.

Cheers

Richard

Last edited:

MavrickWeirdo

First Post
I was not the party leader, so it was fairly easy to "play dumb", however the tunnels were designed with several "open passages" where a DM could put in their own ideas. It was very difficult to not give away when the party went "off the map".

It might be tricky given the sheer number of adventures you read Crothian, in particular that you read quite closely (for reviewing purposes), but can you supply a list to your DM of adventures you have played/read? Maybe categorised into 'Know very well/know well/know a bit'?

When this happens to me or people I play with, I am amazed how far you can get as a DM by changing names and similar superficialities. For example, it is easy to present the Forge of Fury as an old hobgoblin lair, led by a powerful smith-cleric of Maglubiyet (or whoever) named Agrinar. By also changing the layout of the first couple of areas (only in a small way, eg the characters are moving east to west instead of west to east), then the experienced player's alarms are much less likely to be triggered.

Good luck - and I agree with your philosophy that adventures are for all.

Remove ads