• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM tips - what makes a good DM?

segrada

First Post
Do you guys really GM for groups of people where a murderous-PC-rampage is a real possibility?

Maybe it's just my group of players, but they're in the game to advance the story too. They're not above using violence and intimidation where it's appropriate of course, but a random burst of insanity where they slaughter a random NPC in cold blood is never really a danger for me. They want to experience the story that's written, and see/influence what happens next in the plot - and that would be tough if they murder people left and right.

aboyd

Explorer
Do you guys really GM for groups of people where a murderous-PC-rampage is a real possibility?
My players might destroy the entire civilization at level 1 if I allowed them to overrun NPCs. They have killed each other, assassinated innocent bystanders, cheated, lied, stolen, and generally roleplayed chaotic neutral/evil fairly well. The only thing that keeps the game from imploding is that they are level 4 and cannot yet defeat the Fiend-Sage of Rel Astra.

I am fine with this. However, it means I populate the game world with high level NPCs so that entire towns are not slaughtered during our first session.

Piratecat

Sesquipedalian
My players might destroy the entire civilization at level 1 if I allowed them to overrun NPCs. They have killed each other, assassinated innocent bystanders, cheated, lied, stolen, and generally roleplayed chaotic neutral/evil fairly well. The only thing that keeps the game from imploding is that they are level 4 and cannot yet defeat the Fiend-Sage of Rel Astra.
Okay, I totally get where you are coming from. We have very different groups of players, and your's also sound fun. Just differently fun.

segrada

First Post
I think I'm more in PC's boat (hah!) with my group of players. Our folks play DnD in order to roleplay generally good guys, not psychopaths. Not placing a value judgment on either viewpoint of course. :) I just think as a DM I would get very easily frustrated with having to babysit my players lest they stab innocent civilians in the throat at random on the street.

Bumbles

First Post

I would hope I wouldn't end up in that kind of group. But it can happen occasionally.

Usually followed by me leaving for other places.

Of course, I've also played with GMs who went on PC murder sprees.

Save or die roll=bad, m'kay?

Myth and Legend

First Post
Of course, I've also played with GMs who went on PC murder sprees.

Save or die roll=bad, m'kay?
Yes thank you for that example, this was another thing i wanted to bring up. At higher levels in 3.5 DnD Arcane magic is arguably the thing that makes and breaks combat. So then, how do i design mid-high level spellcasters to be a challenge but not (as you say) go on a PC murder spree.

I am under the impression that things like Finger of Death and Mordekainen's Disjunction are bad?

Another approach is "say yes, then add complication and consequences".

I said "do not be afraid to say no." If you have to follow every request with a "yes, but.." then you missed the point.

Which, of course, explains the success of characters like James Bond, Captain Kirk, the Batman, or the all-to-brief televisual life of Malcolm Reynolds.

There is little drama with consequence. Dying is only one of many consequences.

A character in a movie/TV show/comic book is designed to entertain the viewer/reader. They do not necessarily make good PCs. Imagine 5 James Bonds all vying for the Bond girl.

Dying is only one consequence, but do not remove it.

Noumenon

First Post
If you would like to see all of the DMing advice ever given on Enworld, it's at http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...-dming-advice-links-fixed-july-20-2008-a.html . You can pick the thread titles that interest you, and read for days and days like I did, and you will still be coming back here going "How the heck do I deal with this? Is this really how D&D works?" So don't overdo the prep -- just DM, and then improve one thing every session.

Two opinions on the discussion here:

1) For the quest-introducer, it doesn't need to be higher level than the PC's. Anyone can introduce a quest -- a parent with a missing child, townsfolk threatened by monsters, etc. -- it doesn't have to be Elminster. Quests can also be introduced by the "in media res" method -- starting the story in the middle, with the PC's already in a party together and in a fight -- or by an item (hey, look at this scroll I found!).

1a) Power isn't level. An NPC can be powerful for political, economic, or social reasons, without having a high level. For example, the guy who runs the only magic shop in my campaign is mid-level. However, the people who trade with him are adventurers and retired mages and clerics. Messing with him is self-evidently a bad idea, not because he's uber powerful, but because the guy who gave him the Staff of Buttkicking to sell is going to be very mad at YOU if he doesn't get the money. Same goes for militia (police), minor manor holders or merchants, etc.

1b) The reason to not attack a random NPC shouldn't be because the PC's are weaklings. It should be because the PC's are heroes -- or failing that, because they aren't pyschopaths and treat NPC's as if they were people, or failing that, because they know the campaign is dynamic and killing the manor lord will bring down outlawry (inability to get any help from NPC's) and the full force of the law and bounty hunters down on them. That is -- have a campaign world and use it as a real world. It's more fun and emersive for the players than "everybody is too tough to fight". Keep the PC's special, but not too special -- they still have to live with the consequences of their actions.

2) I'd start the PC's at first level, not 7th. Especially if the players are also inexperienced, it gives you all a chance to learn the game -- and the PC's place in the game world -- rather than jumping in with too much complexity and power all at once. Start at 1st level, and you'll appreciate 3rd level, and amaze at the power of 7th . . . (in editions predating 4e, at least).

Remove ads