• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Tools

j3x

First Post
Is there a way to distinguish between basic attacks and normal attacks?

Sure, melee basic attack = m (sword in circle) and ranged basic attack = r (bow in circle):

m Short Sword (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
+7 vs. AC; 1d6 + 3 damage, and the target is marked until the end of the kobold dragonshield’s next turn.

m is transformed to sword in circle when monster card is rendered.

Standard attacks are not circled and letters are capitalized:

R Javelin (standard; at-will) ✦ Weapon
Ranged 10/20; +7 vs. AC; 1d6 + 1 damage, and the target is marked until the end of the kobold denwarden’s next turn.

Balesir

Adventurer
I've been looking for a 4e condition, effect and init tracker for a very long time, and I got my hopes up when I saw this.
Have you tried D&D 4E Combat Manager by Dragon Pro? I've been using it for a little while, now, and I'm finding it well thought out. You don't get all the conditions on a single page, but bloodied is marked as a highlight and all other conditions are visible by clicking the creature in question. This sounds less useful, but actually the way it's generally used makes it only a minor hassle.

The software tracks initiative (allowing for readied actions, delays and so on) automatically, and also handles durations (you set up the duration when the condition is applied and it drops the condition when it expires, except "save ends", when it gives a pop-up with a roll that you can either accept or enter your own result - I generally accept the machine roll for monsters and let players roll for PCs).

It also remembers conditions that a specific creature applied, so if the wizard has a spell that dazes a whole crew, you need only enter the detail (condition + duration) once and it will give you an option to double-click from then on if the source is the wizard.

Characters and monsters can be entered manually (as can traps and so on), but if you use the CB and Adventure Tools (old offline or online versions) then direct import is easy.

Initiative can be entered or auto-rolled - again, I now use the auto-roll for monsters and enter PC rolls given to me by the players. Auto rolling can be made to group monsters of the same type or not, as you wish, and you can roll for individuals or en-masse. Adding surprise is also an option.

Overall, it's made my combat tracking a lot easier - especially with things like rolling for recovery of monster powers (done like saves - take the auto-roll or enter your own result). I can't seem to paste the url on my tablet, but if you Google "D&D 4E Combat Manager Dragon Pro" it should find the Dragon Pro homepage.

Ferghis

First Post
I remember trying it a while ago, [MENTION=27160]Balesir[/MENTION], and it certainly works well for a DM. My problems were that I wanted initiative and conditions (and potentially damage inflicted) tracked on the other side of the screen (therefore without knowing much of monster data), and that I couldn't figure out how to input oddball effects, like for example Astral Seal and Psychic Lock.

It also remembers conditions that a specific creature applied, so if the wizard has a spell that dazes a whole crew, you need only enter the detail (condition + duration) once and it will give you an option to double-click from then on if the source is the wizard.
This is a fantastic feature, and I applaud it.

Balesir

Adventurer
I remember trying it a while ago, [MENTION=27160]Balesir[/MENTION], and it certainly works well for a DM. My problems were that I wanted initiative and conditions (and potentially damage inflicted) tracked on the other side of the screen (therefore without knowing much of monster data),
OK, can't help much there, I'm afraid. I put "bloodied" markers under bloodied monsters, but other than that it's up to the players to track monster defences, damage taken, conditions, and so on. I'll just say if a monster saves against a condition or effect (which D&D CM pops up as a reminder). The players keep an initiative list (using small cards) anyway.

and that I couldn't figure out how to input oddball effects, like for example Astral Seal and Psychic Lock.
That's really easy, actually - you type it in! The drop-down list is actually just a list of default text you can enter by selecting it; the 'condition' box is in fact free text. There is a drop-down selection for "Defence penalty", which you can select and add "-2" (or whatever) to the end of, but you have to actually type "Attacks -X" in. The "remembers conditions that a specific creature applied" can be very handy, here!

j3x

First Post
I take it back. Now that I've tried it, the fact that the star adds a condition underneath the initiative line is quite useful. The conditions need durations, though. The normal durations in 4e are:
  • once
  • until the beginning of X's turn
  • until the end of X's turn
  • save ends
  • until the end of the encounter
  • custom

New version deployed. It is possible now to create a standard/custom conditions as you suggested. Conditions removal are automatically resolved for specific durations.

Ferghis

First Post
Cool. I'm gonna try to use this with my group at some point soon. More feature requests:
  • Bloodied as an imposable condition.
  • bigger font sizes, especially for the mouseover explanation of imposed effects. I plan to use this on the player side of the screen, so lots of people need to be able to see it at once, from a distance of about 4-6 feet.
  • make the effect dialogue window wider, so you can just list the different conditions as buttons instead of using a drop down menu for them (fewer clicks), and the same for durations (a radio button menu works well). This also helps because a few powers impose two conditions that one save ends.
  • make the effect dialogue window wider, so you can list the most recent 10 (or however many fit) custom conditions on the custom tab. I'd rather not type it all out every time I psychic lock or astral seal an enemy.

Ferghis

First Post
Also, [MENTION=6734221]j3x[/MENTION], if you could add an option to track damage inflicted instead of HP, that would be great. Again, I plan on using this on the player side of the screen, so it's easier for players to review the damage they have inflicted at a glance.

For my own reference, here's the url that we're talking about, so I don't have to click back a few pages to find it: http://www.rpgtracker.net/

j3x

First Post
Bloodied as an imposable condition.

what do you mean by that ? when creature is bloodied its health bar turns red. Do you want to add bloodied as condition beneath creature row ?

bigger font sizes, especially for the mouseover explanation of imposed effects. I plan to use this on the player side of the screen, so lots of people need to be able to see it at once, from a distance of about 4-6 feet.
make the effect dialogue window wider, so you can just list the different conditions as buttons instead of using a drop down menu for them (fewer clicks), and the same for durations (a radio button menu works well). This also helps because a few powers impose two conditions that one save ends.

i need to do some compromises here, because i want to support small screens (smartphones, tablets). But im thinking about something like this:

players (not DM) can log to the DM's game and see creatures from players perspective (bigger fonts, limited stats, no controls), access/create journal pages, etc... Or maybe i can create different view for all creatures from players perspective suited for big screens (projectors, TVs)... What do you think ?

Nytmare

David Jose
what do you mean by that ? when creature is bloodied its health bar turns red. Do you want to add bloodied as condition beneath creature row ?

It's been a while since I looked at 4th Ed stuff, but aren't there character builds where you can consider yourself to be bloodied so that you can interact with different abilities while your hitpoints are still above half?

j3x

First Post
It's been a while since I looked at 4th Ed stuff, but aren't there character builds where you can consider yourself to be bloodied so that you can interact with different abilities while your hitpoints are still above half?

That might be true. Players in my group are still at level 3, so i dont know much about high level powers ;) ill check that and add this as condition if necessary.

Remove ads