• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM Tricks to Challenge Tough PCs with Weaker Enemies

shilsen

Adventurer
In this thread I’d started polling ENWorld members to see how the PCs in my Eberron campaign (see sig) compared power-wise with those being played in theirs, Doug McCrae asked for examples of the tactics I’ve used as a DM to challenge them. I thought it would be worthwhile to start a thread for other DMs to post their particular tactics.

I’m especially interested in methods whereby much lower CR/EL enemies can challenge stronger PCs. After all, it takes no real effort to challenge PCs with equally tough or stronger enemies, and personally, as a DM, I find those encounters less interesting, since it takes no skill on my part. But trying to challenge PCs with enemies whom they should theoretically roll over with no real effort is what gets my creative juices flowing. Giving four 8th level PCs the heebie-jeebies with an EL 11 encounter is easy. But having them taking on an EL 8 encounter, made up of enemies with lower than recommended equipment, who fight the PCs to a standstill, takes some doing.

Here are some things that work well for me:

* Using classed and advanced creatures – Many creatures in the MM benefit hugely from a couple of class levels, since they provide a combination of special abilities, elite stat array, and better equipment. Often, a CR 3 monster with two class levels will be a lot scarier than a standard CR 5 monster (a well-designed Ogre Bbn2, for example). The same tends to be true for creatures advanced by hit dice. This especially applies for monsters with offensive special abilities, which can often shoot through the roof with a few hit dice. And the above is even though I never use the non-associated class levels rule, which tends to produce creatures that are way tougher than their purported CR. An invaluable feat for improving the effectiveness of many creatures, but especially advanced (and sometimes classed) ones is Ability Focus, often being enough to move the DC of a particular ability from negligible to risky for the PCs to face.

* Teamwork – Many, if not most, PC groups have a habit of fighting as individuals, albeit powerful ones. The PCs in my game definitely do so, and have often run into trouble in fights where they were individually much more powerful than the enemies, simply because the NPCs fought as a team. Something as basic as flanking and aiding another gives an ally a +4 to hit. Focusing fire on a single PC, readying actions to disrupt PC actions, weakening PCs for their allies (see below), etc. are all things that NPCs can do. Picking feats and abilities that aid in teamwork, like Awesome Blow (MM), Vexing Flanker (PHB2), Swarmfighting (CW), Song of the Heart (ECS), etc. can make a big difference. I personally prefer to have plausible reasons for why NPCs use (or don't) teamwork, so I’ll often give NPCs a leader who’s smarter than the rank and file and will make them function as a team. Efficient teamwork also usually needs some variation. Six barbarians who can do a lot of damage with Power Attack can be a threat. Four barbarians with two fighters focused on tripping and disarming enemies to set them up for the barbarians is better. Two barbarians, two tripper/disarmers, one bard to inspire them, and a wizard to weaken enemies and strengthen his allies, is much better.

* Weaken first, kill later – Something that I have always maintained about combat in 3/3.5e is that going at an enemy through his hit pts is usually the least effective way to go about things. The big advantage that spellcasters have over warrior-types is that spellcasters have far more options for ignoring the hit pts of their enemies, but even warrior-types have some such options, what with sundering, disarming, tripping, grappling, etc. This issue is even truer for weaker NPCs going up against PCs. A 3rd lvl fighter might have a low chance of hitting and/or effectively damaging a buffed 8th level PC, but his chances of disarming (esp. with the right feats) or grappling the higher level enemy are much better. Similarly, while a low-level spellcaster might be unlikely to bring down a much higher level enemy with damage-dealing spells, ones that weaken the enemy, such as Ray of Enfeeblement, can still be very handy. You don’t even have to go as far as magic and special abilities to achieve this. A low level PC hurling a tanglefoot bag can be just as deadly, as long as he has allies to take advantage of the situation.

* Actions matter – One of the reasons that single powerful BBEGs don’t work that well against PC groups is because the BBEG is only taking one round of actions (however powerful they may be) to one for each PC. Reversing the situation is one way to significantly test the PCs. Multiple weaker enemies can often be much more difficult than a lesser number of stronger ones. Of course, for any given EL, there’s a particular point where the NPCs actually get weaker rather than stronger if you increase the number and decrease their level. For example, twelve CR 3 creatures and six CR 5 creatures are both theoretically EL 10 encounters, but while the CR 5 creatures may survive a 10d6 fireball, the CR 3 ones almost certainly will not.

* Use your equipment – Most enemies that are significantly lower level than the PCs can’t afford powerful permanent items. But useful single-use items are another matter. Consider the recommended wealth for a 3rd lvl NPC. 2700 gp can buy few permanent magic items. But it can get an NPC barbarian a chain shirt, a masterwork weapon, maybe a Cloak of Resistance +1, and a bunch of potions. With a Bull’s Strength, Bear’s Endurance and Enlarge Person potion, the NPC is much stronger than with a single permanent item. Slightly higher level NPCs can afford useful single-use items like a few magical arrows (a single +1 Bane or +1 Flame arrow is only 167 gp), a Javelin of Lightning, a Bead of Force, etc. Such items and their use can make a big difference to a weaker group of NPCs against stronger and better-equipped PCs.

A few other things come to mind and I'm forgetting some things, I'm sure, but I need to turn in now.

So, what are your methods for giving PCs a hard time with weaker NPCs and encounters that they should easily win? And even if you're not a DM, please feel free to post anything that you can think of from the tactics your DM uses.

Yami no Hon

First Post
Something I've used to great effect is limiting the space in which encounters occur. If they can surround their enemies compleatly, or if they have some advantageous terrain feature such as a door through which they know the enemies must come* they tend to kick buts all around. If they have encounters in a small space that they can't somehow baracade (especially one with some sort of obstruction to line of sight or moevement) then fights get much tougher.

Case in point: last night the final fight was in a 15 by 25 foot room with a spiral staircase in the middle of it. The spell casters who chose to hang back from the melee found that their line of sight was blocked to several of the baddies, and AoE spells were nutralized by a fear of doing more damage to party members. The people on the front lines found themseleves flanked, with no way to get out of it short of a full retreat action. (To be fair, the baddies were in the same situation.)

There were 11 people (including cohorts) with an average character level of 8, versus 4 people and one skelaton minion (average level 10), and that stupid little 15x25 room was one of the best fights we've had all year.

*alternate stratagy: let the PCs use a door as a choke point. Introduce them to an enemy caster who has prepaired two demension doors and a fireball.

painandgreed

First Post
* Illusions - Using illusions to make the PCs mistake what they are fighting or to obfuscate it completly can be an equalizer. Illusions on a minor threat so that PCs dump their major spells on it rather than the real medium threat they are facing. get them to burn their resources on things they don't have to. Hide an attacker until they are in oportune postion, or just mess with their minds because they can't place what is going on due to random illusions. Once aided an invisible stalker with auditory illusions of a defening roar of whiporwhills (and other things taken from Lovecraft) while walking though a feild. When the stalker finally attacked, they were so freaked out by the sound effects, they didn't even try and fight and just ran.

*spying - Most PC parties have really poor security, especially when out of the dungeon and back in the inn. Random villagers, traveling bards, or other spies for the BBEG can probably glean lots of important information for the asking. Just hanging out in the inn where they are drinking and makeing a few listen checks could tell you all their future plans. Remember, not all spies, know they're spies. Good people can be gotten to spy on the party due to various lies or money. Just showing up and using Gather Information after the party has left may get the bad guys decent information.

*social engineering - PCs can be fairly easy to manipulate. Some papers left in a dungeon, a rumor spread around town, and an "informer" telling the party secrets can get the party to do exactly what the bad guys want, especially if they have no other leads. Like illusions, if you feed the PCs what they are expecting, they won't question it. If you gather information on the PCs like alignment first, you can usually tell what their actions to issues will be before they happen.

*go after soft targets - The bad guys may not be able to take on the PCs, but do the PCs have family or friends? Did they like the barmaid in the last town? Gotten to know the local low level cleric? Threaten the PCs with attacking these people if they are too much a threat.

*fight on your own terms - Always have an escape route and if the PCs attack when you aren't ready for them, run. Don't fight the PCs in a fair fight but ambush them when terrain and conditions are in your favor. Dump everything on one person to kill them then run away and preform another ambush on a different PC a few days later.

*patience - PCs are heros always caught up in the moment. If things get too hot, run away, hide, and plot revenge for a later date.

Celebrim

Legend
shilsen said:
I’m especially interested in methods whereby much lower CR/EL enemies can challenge stronger PCs...* Using classed and advanced creatures...

If your goal as a DM is to bury the CR of your monsters so that by the book, the CR is as low as possible relative to the real challenge of the encounter, it is almost always better to advance monsters rather than add class levels. Because of flaws in the CR system, PC class levels are overrated in comparison to many or most monster HD. You can almost always add 2-3 HD to a monster for each level of PC class you add to it and get the exact same CR by the book. In many cases, adding monster HD is actually more synergistic as well because it effects the DC of the saves versus the monsters special abilities.

The exception is when a few levels of a class plug a major hole in the monsters defences, for example adding a few levels of class with good fort or will saves to a monster which is weak in these areas. A good example of this is troll clerics, who gain far more from having levels in cleric than the CR would indicate, because gaining resistance to fire and acid attacks (via defensive spells) renders trolls far tougher than a few level of a PC class would indicate.

Another good way to bury CR in a monster is to enhance the monster's abilities and equipment below the level that would warrant a full CR adjustment under the current rules, but which is still significant. For example, under the current rules as written, an default Ogre has the same CR as the same Ogre with a +2 bonus to STR and DEX and wearing platemail rather than hide and wielding a large masterwork two-handed sword rather than a greatclub. Backed up by goblins with tanglefoot bags or some other nastiness, and suddenly the encounter is by the CR estimate much easier than it actually would be.

Finally, keep an eye out for templates that plug critical weaknesses in a monster. Many templates are far more useful in particular situations than the estimated CR. Look for templates that add mobility to monster thats main weakness is poor mobility, ranged attacks to monsters that lack them, spell resistance to monsters with poor saves, resistances to monsters with particular vulnerabilities, and so forth.

One other important factor in making low CR monsters effective is terrain. As an obvious example, low CR monsters with the benifit of arrow slits (for 90% cover) and the high ground (granting for example a +1 circumstance bonus to hit) and with some obstacle which makes them difficult to reach can be a real pain if they have a decent ranged attack, especially when backed up by a few lower level spell casters which might otherwise be of little threat to the PC's. Or similar alternative is monsters attacking from behind trees or within ditches from upslope of the characters, where the interveening terrain between the PC's and the attackers is very difficult (briar patches, broken rock, small cliffs) and thus requires both time and skill checks (balance, climb) to traverse. Encounters like this are not only challenging, but often provoke lengthy tactical situations especially if you scatter the monsters out so that no one charge or area of effect spell can get them all, or if there are traps along the line of obvious approach.

Another thing to keep in mind is the limits of PC senses. A long darkened corridor in which the PC's enter on the lightened side (burning torches in sconces) provides a perfect killing ground for archers placed behind cover and out of the range of darkvision on the darkened side. The base of a roaring waterfall or any other loud continious can hamper characters dependent on hearing and mess with spell casters.

In the reverse, spells like obscuring mist and darkness dropped on the PC's position (or physical effects duplicating them, like a blinding snow storm) allow monsters with poor ranged attacks but strong melee or grapples to get in close where it counts.

Another way to do this is confining and difficult terrain. Your characters should face squeezes, vertical shafts, slippery and uneven floors, and so forth, and if you particularly want to polish your RBDM rep, they should do so when these features don't trouble the monster in question at all (such as squeezes with oozes, swarms, or small monsters, vertical shafts with incorporeal monsters, and slippery floors with flying monsters). Forcing the players to fight in the water, in deep snow drifts, in an avalanche prone area, or from boats, on narrow ledges, while climbing, and so forth only adds to the fun.

I think it goes without saying 'Play to the monster's strengths', but many DM's just don't play the monster well. This is justified in the case of unintelligent or low intelligence foes, but against high intelligence foes you could be pulling out every devious trick you can think of.

Ultimately though, what I've found to be the leading cause of character death is player confusion, particularly when it leads to a lack of party cohesion. What makes an encounter easy is the player knowing what he is up against and therefore what the creatures weaknesses and strengths are. When players can't recognize the monster, or doesn't know what the source of the attacks are, or doesn't understand why his currect approach isn't working, they tend to start acting irrationally, and the party cohesion breaks down so that an encounter which is difficult but well suited to 4 characters suddenly transforms into an encounter where 1 character is bearing the brunt of the ill will. Do your best not to give out meta-game information without in game reasons. Use home brews and variants and templates that disguise the creatures nature (savage species templates are good for this). Anything that you can do to shake player confidence is going to pay huge dividends in the actual difficulty of the encounter.

Jemal

Adventurer
Combine Monsters with complementary traps. Ex encounter:
Put Kobold Rogues hiding near a well-hidden pit trap, and when the first person falls in, have the rogues jump out and gain suprise round sneak attack. Maybe they even have Cover set up a little further down the corridor, so while 1 (or more) party members try to get out of the pit, they're flinging raned attacks from behind cover on the Other side of the pit. Characters will have to get over the pit, or deal with their cover from range.

Also, combining Spiders/driders with web-filled rooms is awesome. Intelligent characters that can shut off light sources and can see in the dark work very well underground. (Drow, anybody?)

Jemal

Adventurer
Vague Jayhawk said:
It may seem a bit mean, but make sure to harrass the party enough that the spellcasters never get a good night sleep.

That's not being challenging, though, that's just taking away a characters abilities. It's like saying "Sunder the fighter's sword at every opportunity". or "Make sure all rooms are 100% lit with no cover so rogues can't hide."
If you take away the mages spellcasting, then they may as well be playing a commoner.

It's ok if used RARELY, but if it becomes anything even RESEMBLING a standard MO, people will not want to play casters anymore... and if that's what you're going for anyways, just tell them straight up you don't want casters in your game.

StreamOfTheSky

Adventurer
painandgreed said:
*go after soft targets - The bad guys may not be able to take on the PCs, but do the PCs have family or friends? Did they like the barmaid in the last town? Gotten to know the local low level cleric? Threaten the PCs with attacking these people if they are too much a threat.

I take issue with this statement. Doing this is basically penalizing the PC in question for developing friendships and relationships with NPCs and actually writing a family into his backstory. If you utilize this tactic any more frequently than "maybe once, over the entire course of the campaign, and only severe negligence on the part of the PC would have lead to any long-term or far-reaching effects to happen," you're encouraging yet another solemn, "lone wolf" PC with no surviving family and no interest in other NPCs other than killing them and taking their stuff. I don't know about you, but most PCs I see follow this cliche (heck, my current character is half-guilty of it!), and it gets old fast.

Note the subsections "Relationships Beyond the Adventure" and "Hit Them Where it Hurts" (page 131, DMG) mostly back-up my statements.

Warren Okuma

First Post
Level 13 mmm? Here's my five...

1) Grapple with colossal vermin.
2) Pit trap with water filled pit.
3) Wand of mount and jump spell, and a cliff...
4) Top of the mountain, giant archers with +1 bows of distance. Cleave at close range.
5) Druid schwerepunkt. (four low level druids buffed up with buffed up animal companions)

Remove ads