• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMG2 Excepts: Ch. 5 Adventures and Rewards

mykelsss

First Post
YES.

DMG2 Excerpts: Ch. 5 Adventures and Rewards

The best part is, it encourages lots of roleplaying!

New Reward types:
Everyone has an equal opportunity to receive any reward through the best roleplaying, best critical thinking, etc. because they seem class-neutral. While divine boons are deity-specific, legendary boons are not and grandmaster training gives incentive for players to actively roleplay and make friends with NPCs.

Magic Items:
Everyone receives rewards regardless of participation because they are made for specific classes.

Of course as a DM you probably won't let anyone really fall behind, but even the illusion of competition itself is great!

This should've been in the original game, it's freaking sweet. They seem to complement the current system very well.

Last edited:

gribble

Explorer
Alternative Rewards, Item Components and Organisations! Sweet... I'm really looking forward to this book.

I think the sample alternative rewards make a nice change from "kill them and loot the bodies".
:)

Rechan

Adventurer
This is pretty cool. :)

I find it a bit odd that they last for 5 levels and then "Fade away". I understand the reasoning (because people trade/sell magical items/whatnot). But it should be easy enough to "Upgrade" to the next level of the boon, if you the DM want to keep the power on the PC.

The only disappointing thing is that it looks like there's nothing in there about keeps/building/etc type of resource management.

gribble

Explorer
The only disappointing thing is that it looks like there's nothing in there about keeps/building/etc type of resource management.
Yeah, that would have been super-sweet. I'm guessing it probably wouldn't have fit though (assuming they wanted to include it). That sort of thing can easily fill a book of it's own!

AllisterH

First Post
Any one want to take bets to this being the DEFAULT position for DARKSUN?

Combine this chapter with the often-used houserule about incorporating the expected pluses into the characters and you easily solve the "low magic item" question that is inherent in DS.

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
This looks quite excellent for my games. I don't want to just hand out weapons and armor and other junk, and I'm very glad for the opportunity to do otherwise. Not that it wasn't there before, this just helps.

Hooray! :)

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
This is pretty cool. :)

I find it a bit odd that they last for 5 levels and then "Fade away". I understand the reasoning (because people trade/sell magical items/whatnot). But it should be easy enough to "Upgrade" to the next level of the boon, if you the DM want to keep the power on the PC.

Yes. I also noted that noting was said, specifically, about handing out Riuals. (The component blurb gave me the impression that they weren't going to do so.)

Remove ads