• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DM'ing advice for a PC awakened animal

DustinGebhardt

First Post
One of my players wanted to play an awakened heavy horse, working toward taking paladin levels once the LA was paid off. In agreeing to this, I made sure that she was going to take this seriously (well, as serious as a talking-horse paladin can be), that she got the other members of the group to agree, that she understood that I wouldn't be altering the game to fit her character (she would have to adapt to the world, as a real talking horse would have to), and that she take 3 negative levels to bring her back inline with the other, 1st-level PCs. As she levels up, the negative levels will be removed and she can eventually take paladin levels.

I want to make this game meaningful and fun for her. Obviously, as a paladin, I have a lot of things that I can feed her to keep her character content, at least from an activity point of view. But what about gear and treasure? Most players like to aquire new gear and loot, and she is no different. I can foresee that this may be problematic.

Overall, do you have any recommendations for me? Any Do's or Don't's?

TIA

Remove ads