• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMs are too easy on their players

Flynn

First Post
robberbaron said:
Euphonius? Now you're making stuff up.
Or do you mean 'like a euphonium'?

Do you colonials pronounce milieu 'meel-you' or 'meel-yur'?

I prefer "mill-you", but if I'm tired and in the company of other Texans with a more pronounced drawl, sometimes it comes out "meel-you".

With Regards,
Flynn

Edena_of_Neith

First Post
I figure if the DM and players go with the C words, they can't go wrong:

The group is chillin out, and getting crackin for a cool game.
The DM is considerate, and the players care.
The group is careful, and the DM is cautious, to avoid calamnities.
Everyone values courtesy, and an atmosphere of congeniality rules.
People are about conversation. There's plenty of conniving, but all in good character.
Everyone hopes to capitalize on this Saturday for a good time.
Nobody is going to capitulate to anger. Nobody is going to cave in to rage.
And the DM is not running any old canned adventure, but is creative about his work.

C rhymes with P, and that stands for ...

Polite.

And a capital C ... that rhymes with T, and that stands for ...

Trust.

Slife

First Post
Edena_of_Neith said:
- You think that character is of an overpowered class? A broken class? Wait until you see my MONSTERS. Then you will learn what BROKEN means. If you survive, the next monster encounter will be worse!
Good to know. Now, may I introduce my new character? He's a level 1 kobold commoner.

Edena_of_Neith said:
Red dragon approaching party.
Party opts for Operation 21.

The elven wizard throws Fly, ascends up to meet oncoming dragon.
The dragon thinks: 'My, tempting target. I'll knock her right out of the air.'
The dragon flies right at the elven wizard. The dragon has decided to ram her (and bite her, which it succeeds in doing, amplifying the results below.)

However, the elven wizard bought a Stonestone scroll (old version of Stoneskin, allowed in my game), cast it earlier, and is Stoneskinned.

You forgot step zero. Oh, wait a second thinks the dragon. I can identify spell effects through the use of my excellent spellcraft check. Stoneskin, eh? I recognize that as one of the ancient (and extremely overpowered) spells from the forbidden era. I guess I won't do something stupid like attack physically.

Last edited:

Numion

First Post
Slife said:
You forgot step zero. Oh, wait a second thinks the dragon. I can identify spell effects through the use of my excellent spellcraft check. Stoneskin, eh? I recognize that as one of the ancient (and extremely overpowered) spells from the forbidden era. I guess I won't do something stupid like attack physically.

First thing forgotten in that example were the rules of the game.

kobold

First Post
Zurai said:
For some people fighting for their (characters') lives is what makes D&D fun, yes.

For others, it's the storytelling.

For others, it's creating optimized characters.

For others, it's creating crazily un-optimized characters and still being effective.

Etc, etc.

There is no right way to have fun in D&D, and there definitely isn't an ONLY way to have fun in D&D.
Sorry but my way is the right way to play D&D and have fun. All others are pale imitations!

Remove ads