• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DMs! Who are YOUR composers?

This is silly music-snob nonsense. His music is so different from those that comparing them is more than faintly ludicrous, it's fundamentally ludicrous. Poledouris wrote excellent film scores, which have applicability that pieces by other composers may well not.

Your opinion vs mine - neither is correct. I find his scores tired and uninspired, you find them invigorating and inspired ~ c'est la guerre. To my opinion silly music-snob nonsense however is just pish-posh and mean.

Wombat

First Post
My battle sequences, at the very least, would be written by Erich Wolfgang Korngold.

I would love Ludwig van Beethoven for many segments, with Carl Orff for certain dramatic interludes.

Background incidental music could be composed by Guillame Dufay, Pandit Ravi Shankar, Pete Seeger, Dmitri Dmitriyevich Shostakovich, Howard Shore, Tom Waits, Angelo Badalamenti, and many others.

Creepy music by Bernard Herrmann and Siouxsie Sioux.

SSquirrel

Explorer
I can easily envision scenes that playing Neurosis "Times of Grace" would be appropriate. The "heavy" quotient is certainly filled then ;)

The Little Raven

First Post
Basil Poledouris
Bear McCreary
Clint Mansell
Eric Serra
Hans Zimmer
Jerry Goldsmith
John Williams
Nobuo Uematsu

Those are my primary music choices during games.

The Right Word

First Post
Did I see James Newton Howard mentioned? If not, and you'd like to check out a fantastic horror score, have a listen to his 'Signs' soundtrack. Actually, I think he's done all of M. Night's movies, but this is my favorite.

The Little Raven

First Post
Did I see James Newton Howard mentioned? If not, and you'd like to check out a fantastic horror score, have a listen to his 'Signs' soundtrack. Actually, I think he's done all of M. Night's movies, but this is my favorite.

James Howard definitely should have been on my list... but not his Signs soundtrack. It would make me think of the movie, and I can't handle that much disappointment in my life right now.

Remove ads