• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DnD 3.5 Adventure (any interest?)

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Hi All, I'm back and hoping to avoid disappearing again (telecommunications monopoly down here). :\ Sorry KarlGreene

Was thinking of running a game (short, maybe 7-11 encounters) with the following idea...

The Situation:
The Moon Stalker hobgoblin tribe recently sacked the town and set fire to several buildings. The Mayor, Dreyden Holstade, was mortally wounded but managed to use the hearthstone to control the fires and contain most of the damage before dying. After this heroic act, both the hearthstone and the mayor's only daughter, Isolde Holstade, were kidnapped.
The next night Dreyden's spirit rose from his broken corpse and laid waste to the Mayor's Mansion. He holds the ancient darkwood tree that grows there, and it's resident dryad, ransom. If he kills the tree, the ancient pacts between the humans of Malak's Cross and the fey of the Murkwood will be broken and the fey will hunt again... frankly, the humans don't stand a chance and they know it.
The dead mayor demands that 'men and women of strong will' be summoned to him. When and only when they complete a series of tasks of his choosing, he'll release his hold on the town and return to his grave.

The Quest:
1) Rescue Dreyden's daughter Isolde from the hobgoblins that kidnapped her.
2) Retrieve the hearthstone and return it to it's rightful place at the town center.
3) Kidnap the hobgoblin chiefton's son, Ferraxis, and bring him back to Dreyden.
4) Do NOT kill the hobgoblin chiefton under any circumstances! If the chiefton dies, the town of Malak's Cross will die with him.

The Reward:
Malak's Cross continues to survive.
Perhaps the new mayor, Isolde Holstade, will reward you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

House Rules & Character Creation:
1) All humanoid PC and NPCs in this game will be limited to the ninth character level.​
2) TWO feats are gained for each character level instead of 1 feat per 3 levels.​
3) 1 Attribute point is gained for each character level gained after the 1st.​
4) Reserve Points from UNEARTHED ARCANA will be used.​
5) Starting Level = 3; Starting Gold: 3,000 (cannot spend more than 750 Gold on a single item); Point-Buy: 30 points.​
6) Each class earns 1 extra skill point per level. The maximum skill cap rises by 2 per level instead of 1 per level. (EX: 1st = 5, 2nd = 7, 3rd = 9, 4th = 11, etc...)​
7) Maximum HP at 1st & 2nd level. 50% HP for levels 3-9. These HP totals are BEFORE
Constitution adjustments.​
8) Posting Frequency: once per weekday.​
9) Books Allowed: Core (3.5), Unearthed Arcana, Complete Warrior, & Complete Arcane.
Heroes of High Favor: Half-Orcs, Elves, & Dwarves too...
...All final character concepts are subject to veto.​
10) Magic involving die rolls for damage will treat all 1's rolled as 2's.​
11) Knowledge: local must define a specific location.​
12) Alignment: Must be good or lawful. No evil alignments... you're heroes after all.​

Looking for 4 interested players. The first 4 completed characters will do (a couple paragraphs of background please; you may take liberty's with the setting; please don't alter anything written above).

Due to the medium, I don't expect to use too many traps.

I don't really worry about minutea like rations, water, bedrolls, backpacks, clothes, roll of twine, paring knife, a candle, flint/steel, etc... Just buy an adventurer's pack (30 Gold) and call it good.

Disclaimer: Don't expect all creatures to be like they are in standard DnD.

Custom Feats:
SKILLED
Prereq: None
You are especially skilled. You have nine extra skill points to spend. This feat can be taken multiple times.

TOUGHNESS (replaces standard Toughness & Improved Toughness feats)
Prereq: None
You are especially hardy. You have 4 extra hit points. This feat can be taken multiple times and stacks with itself. The hit points gained from this feat do not affect your reserve point total.

Locations of Interest/Places of Power:
The following is general local knowledge that anyone can pick up from 20 minutes conversation with any citazen of Malak's Cross.

Twilight Forest -- All plants and animals of this 20 square mile forest are albinos and phosphoresent. Commonly, they retain the glow of sunlight hours after the sun has actually set. Time also flows more slowly here; about 1/5 speed at the borders and about 1/10th at the center of the forest. For unknown reasons, no fey will enter this forest nor speak of it to any mortal. It is rare for any animal here to leave the forest.

Singing Pylons -- Sixteen 70-foot tall pylons of white rock jut from the floor of a verdant savannah called the Sea of Grass. They seem to follow no set pattern and are often at odd angles with each other. They get thier names from the sound the wind makes as it blows through the multitude of carved holes through them. No one knows who carved the pylons nor what thier purpose is. The pylons are completly immune to any and all magical effects. The Stonelost dwarven barbarian tribe regards them as holy icons and usually has a patrol here guarding this holy place.

The Maw -- A semi-subteranean swamp. Darkness and shadows abound in this place. It is partially co-existant with the plane of shadow and the abyss. Otherworldly creatures and undead roam the silent marshes here. The Shadow Skull tribe of Hobgoblins eeks out an existance here. Due to unholy alliances they have made, the animals and undead here do not bother them. Though few in number, they are the masters of this place. A Hag-Oracle purportadly lives in the Maw, though no one has seen her in decades.

Olde Forte -- An abandoned village of mouldering brick and morter. No one knows who used to live here or why they left. It is reportedly inhabited by ghosts and other spirts... though no one really knows for sure. Locals shun this place though it is only a half-day's walk from town.

The Murkwood -- A large forest of darkwood trees. Ancient pacts between the townspeople and the fey that inhabit these woods prevent the locals from harvesting but six trees in any given year... three at each solstice. This 200 square mile forest is home to various animals, the odd troll, three goblin tribes (soul drinkers, blood raven, and burned ones), a hobgoblin tribe (moon stalkers), and several fey. Occasionally, an elf or two can be found here, though none are indigenous to the area.

The Sea of Grass -- A verdant savannah generously sprinked with massive rock formations jutting from the ground, seemingly at random. A tribe of barbarian dwarves make thier home here, the Stonelost. Making use of the giant insects that abound here, they hunt the animals and quarry the stone for trade with the local humans.

The Blood Yew -- Not far from town, amid the ruins of an ancient burned out structure, grows a massive, twisted, 50-foot tall yew tree with blood-red bark and black sap. Local folklore holds that this is the deathsite of an ancient vampire-lord who once ruled and enslaved the local hobgoblin tribes. Animals instintively shun this place and all who attempt to shelter here after dark find themselves plagued by nightmares or simply unable to sleep due to general uneasiness.

Malak's Cross -- Human township of 7,000 souls, NG; (6,960 humans, 30 Dwarves, 7 Halflings, 3 Half-orcs)
Mayor (hereditary title): Dreyden Holstade
Farmer's mostly (wheat + fruit) with Two competing mills (wind mill & water wheel). Many bakeries and inns. This town is at the crossroads of no less than seven different trade routes. The dwarves come here to sell thier hides, meats, insects, and quarried stones. There are several smithys as well. A small but successful cadre of horse ranchers has taken root as well, they maintain horse races and sell stock to passing caravans.

Most buildings in town are single story and constructed of quarried stone. The Inns and Mayor's Mansion are three stories tall (2nd & 3rd story are wooden; the manse is made of stone).

The marketplace is the lifeblood of this town.

Defense: Malak's Cross has no walls, but can be protected by a dome of impenetrable force by any of Malak's decendents using a magical artifact known as the hearthstone.

Last edited:

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Question said:
Erm those are interesting house rules....any particular reason you chose to house rule those?
Why not? Perhaps I'm tired of regular d20? Besides... feats are fun. And with fewer levels, each level is more powerful (subjectively).

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Ferrix said:
Could be fun as your last game died off I'll toss my hat in for this one as well.
Hey, I'm up for starting that last game up again. ;)

Lobo Lurker

First Post
I intend this to be a one-shot yes... but with only 7-11 encounters I don't imagine that anyone would advance more than a level.

Jdvn1: Do you have a link to that old game? I logged into EnWorld the other day to find my subscriptions all gone.

Question

First Post
I have to admit, it interests me somewhat. Will the campaign progress beyond this adventure if there is sufficient demand?

Kafkonia

First Post
So, if I understand correctly, we'll be starting at 3rd level as follows:

-6 Feats (plus any bonus feats, such as fighter or human)
-max HP for 1st and 2nd, half for third
-+2 attribute bonus (not included in the 30 point buy)
-Maximum ranks 9 in a class skill

Is that correct?

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Jdvn1 said:
Hey, I'm up for starting that last game up again. ;)
Hey Jdvn, was the last game the game when I was playing a 5th level Ghaele (something crossing?), that was pretty cool if I remember rightly, especially since the villianess had political links to the town counsel. I'm all for reviving that game, especially since I have my old character saved, Marcus I believe.

The game had lots of potential, also Lobo Lurker I'm seriously thinking about making a character for this game, I'll let ou know more when I have a better concept.

Remove ads