• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

DnD 3.5 One-Shot Adventure (closed, but always accepting alternets)

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Thanks for the mapping props. :) I do it as much for myself as for you guys. I actually prefer to game w/out maps, but for PbP it's really hard to do (and since I starting learning Spanish, my English communications skills have seriously deteriorated).

I envisioned the crystalize weaponry as requiring a separate skill... or at least enough ranks in gemcutting to provide a synergy bonus with blacksmithing/armorsmithing (say, 5). The gems don't provide any mechanical advantage and they're not all that tough as far as metallic weapons go. That changes when you enchant them though (+2 hardness; +10 hp per +1 enhancement bonus, I believe).

Mostly, the obsidian and other gem weapons are included here for flavor to so that it doesn't look so outlandishly stupid if I later introduce an NPC who happens to have a glass sword or something similar.

After all, barbarians are barbarians, but barbarians from the Red Wood are always armed with obsidian weapons. :) It's largely a flavor thing designed to keep otherwise uninteresting opponants seem more interesting. And you never know when something like that might turn into a plot hook (I try and build a secret into everything I introduce to the game, on the off chance that a PC might want to investigate it closer, or that inspiration might strike me later).

Jdvn1

Hanging in there. Better than the alternative.
Crystalline weapons being a different skill kind of hampers my character's wanting-to-be-an-expert-smith-and-craft-any-weapon-or-armor thing. :uhoh:

Since I didn't know this and since my craft(bowmaking) is kind of out of character anyway and since I didn't know about (or think of) craft (gemcutting), could I switch those skill points over? Or, at least, switch them over bit by bit to symbolize my learning about crystalline weaponry? And what about using arcanite? Is that another skill too?

I understood crystalline weapons (from the XPH, at least) to be encompassed in craft(weaponsmithing), but if you're house ruling stuff, let me know so I can make the character I'm trying to make. :uhoh:

If it's just flavor, could I at least have some opportunity to learn how to make the different sorts of weapons (if it's just flavor, why do you add mechanics?)?

I don't mind not knowing about any of the stuff, but I'd like the opportunity know about most of it.

Lobo Lurker

First Post
> I understood crystalline weapons (from the XPH, at least) to be encompassed in
> craft(weaponsmithing), but if you're house ruling stuff, let me know so I can make
> the character I'm trying to make.

Hmm, I hadn't even considered the XPH (SRD, here I come). But consider that your character has never heard of crystaline weapons before. It wouldn't really make sense for you to have ranks in that skill. I'm not saying you can't shift your bowmaking ranks over (it's not like you've used them yet) do so if it's that important to you.

> If it's just flavor, could I at least have some opportunity to learn how to make the
> different sorts of weapons (if it's just flavor, why do you add mechanics?)?

Go right ahead. All you need are the fundamentals of Gem cutting and then apply your knowledge of weapons forging to it. If you want a ruling off the cuff, say add 3 to the DC of trying to make any metallic item out of a crysal instead. This would be complicated by the fact that, for a sword blade, unless you came up with some nifty work around, you'd need to find a solid crystal/gem large enough to form the blade of a weapon.

I apply mechanics to some flavors because logic does have a place in my games. :) That and I used to major in Geology. :) After all, glass may be as hard as, or harder than stone, but it is WAY more brittle.

Last edited:

Lobo Lurker

First Post
I forgot to answer your other question. Forging with Arcanite requires no special skills beyond the normal. You just need a really hot fire (as it's resistant to fire damage) and add 10 to the DC of the skill check. Arcanite items are always considered to be masterwork items (just like darkwood, mithril, & adamantite).

Arcanite is, essentially, magically treated metal of some sort, haven't really decided what (x2 hardness, x2 hitpoints, +20 break DC).

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Lobo Lurker said:
Hmm, I hadn't even considered the XPH (SRD, here I come). But consider that your character has never heard of crystaline weapons before. It wouldn't really make sense for you to have ranks in that skill. I'm not saying you can't shift your bowmaking ranks over (it's not like you've used them yet) do so if it's that important to you.
I haven't heard of them at all? Hm, okay. I think what I'd like to do is either shift them over just to have them there and roleplay knowing the information next level (I'd be learning it this level) or wait until next level to move them over. What do you think? Next level, I'd be taking the Battlesmith PrC, symbolizing a focus on crafting (moreso, anyway).

Oh, and thanks for the info. :) I don't know when/if we'll get downtime, but I'd like a chance to try some of it out eventually.

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Works for me. :) Like I said, it was mostly a flavor issue.

Oh, as per the SRD: Glass; Hardness: 1; HP: 1/inch of thickness.
Logically, this makes no sense; Your average human cannot throw his fist through 1 inch of glass. I'll houserule glass to a hardness of 3. With it's brittle nature, we'll leave it's hp at 1/inch. Other gems might be harder or tougher.

Oh, and while I'm add it, I'm houseruling Save or Die effects too. Any spell or ability with would result in death on a failed save will instead result in the character having negative d10 hit points. That way, even though you fail a save/die spell or effect, you still have a chance to be saved if your companions act quick enough. This includes death by massive damage (taking 50+ hp damage from a single attack).

Last edited:

Jdvn1

Neato. :) Actually... could I put the skill points in craft(gemcutting) so that I know about gems (makes sense for a dwarf to know a little about gems and precious/semiprecious stones, right?) and then next level add the synergy to weaponsmithing? Basically, I know about gems, but I don't know about gem weapons until next level.

I don't know if you saw this stuff in the SRD but:[sblock=Mundane Crystal] Mundane crystal can be used in place of metal in weapons or armor, using a special forging process. The fortified crystal possesses the properties of a similar masterwork steel weapon or armor, except for visual appearance.

Weapons and armor made of mundane crystal cost the same amount to make as their masterwork counterparts. Any item could potentially be made with mundane crystal. Because mundane crystal armor is considered to be made out of metal, druids cannot wear it.

Mundane crystal properly forged has 25 hit points per inch of thickness and a hardness of 8. [/sblock][sblock=Deep Crystal] Deep crystal is crystal of above-average quality found at the hearts of large veins or deposits of mundane crystal (see below). Deep crystal is renowned for its strength and its psionically resonant nature. Mundane crystal is used for many items of psionic manufacture, such as dorjes, power stones, and psicrystals. Deep crystal is a better grade.

While a weapon made of deep crystal is no different from a mundane crystal weapon for a nonpsionic character, a psionic wielder of a deep crystal weapon can focus psionic power through it, increasing the damage that weapon deals. As a free action that does not provoke attacks of opportunity, the wielder can channel psionic power into a melee weapon or ranged weapon made of deep crystal. For 2 power points, the deep crystal weapon deals an extra 2d6 points of damage. The weapon will stay charged for 1 minute or until it scores its next hit. Bows, crossbows, and slings bestow this power on their ammunition. All missile weapons lose this effect if they miss. However, they may be recovered and charged again.

Any weapon made of deep crystal costs 1,000 gp more than its noncrystal counterpart. Any item could potentially be made out of deep crystal. Because deep crystal armor is considered to be made out of metal, druids cannot wear it.

Deep crystal has 30 hit points per inch of thickness and a hardness of 10. [/sblock]Just to point out the hardness and hit points. They are very hard. You might also want to come up with a different (read: more thematic) special ability rather than the one listed for deep crystal.

Hm, I like that Save or Die houserule. I should yoink that.

Lobo Lurker

First Post
Nope, I hadn't seen those, but they're more along the lines of what I was aiming for. A bit too hard for my tastes though. I envision crystaline weapons slotting below metal weapons in terms of practical effectiveness.

Jdvn1

Do you think it should have lower hardness, hit points, or both? If it had high hardness but few hitpoints, it'd seem brittle.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads