• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do Healing Surges close wounds?

Do Healing Surges close wounds?

• Yes. They always close at least SOME wounds.

Votes: 7 8.8%
  • Sometimes. It depends upon situational factors or something else.

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • No. They don't actually close wounds, ever.

Votes: 17 21.3%
  • OTHER: I cannot select one of the poll options...comments below.

Votes: 8 10.0%

AeroDm

First Post
I would say that because both hit points and damage have a descriptive range, it would depend on how you chose to describe the events preceding the usage of the surge.

Vyvyan Basterd

Adventurer
OTHER

There are no Wounds in D&D as defined in the rules. Damage causes whatever the DM wishes to describe it narratively. As such, healing is treated the same way. How it occurs is within the narrative control of the DM. One unified mechanic, Healing Surges, is used to cover a multitude of methods.

A Cleric's Healing Word may close wounds.

A Warlord's Inspiring Word may give the character the resolve to continue despite the pain he is in.

Since the earliest days of the game hit points have been described as a combination of physical toughness, skill, luck, resolve, etc. How those hit points are lost or gained have always been up to the DM to determine.

MrBeens

First Post
Surely by the very nature of the thread that you say "inspired" this one you know that the results are going to end up pretty much evenly split.
Not sure what this poll will achieve apart from pushing the discussion on in 2 separate threads.

Stoat

Adventurer
Depends.

An orc slashes Fred the fighter with a rusty axe, wounding Fred!

On his next turn, Fred takes his second wind. His wound persists, but he ignores it and fights through the pain.

OR

On his next turn, Clyde the Cleric cases Cure Light Wounds, healing Fred. The holy power of Pelor magically heals the wound. Fred is a good as new.

OR

The fight ends, and Fred uses a Healing Surge after the encounter is over. Fred sits down for a minute, takes a deep breath and binds his wounds with bandages.

Aurumvorax

First Post
Who was it that said "In D&D you're character is always healthy until he's dead?" The actual number of hit points isn't important at all until your character hits that big 0 (or negative) and dies/dying.

Imaro

Legend
If even the smallest fraction of hit points is physical damage (which I believe everyone agrees on) then the fact that HS can bring one back from zero or less would seem to indicate that they can heal actual physical damage when applied in certain circumstances.

korjik

First Post
It is an irrelevant distinction. As someone said, there are no actual wounds in D&D, but there is also the fact that there is no mechanic to make an open wound an effect.

Surely by the very nature of the thread that you say "inspired" this one you know that the results are going to end up pretty much evenly split.
Not sure what this poll will achieve apart from pushing the discussion on in 2 separate threads.

Mainly, I was curious about the degree of the split. So far the poll isn't an even split at all.

Also, I created a poll because I've always considered hp to be abstract wounds (well, lost hp) and also always considered healing to be closing of the wounds.

EDIT: Interesting ideas about wounds not existing. I've set up a companion thread to this one.
http://www.enworld.org/forum/genera...magic-e-g-cure-light-wounds-close-wounds.html

Last edited:

Remove ads