Do you eat fast food,if so what do you get and where do you go?

Ahnehnois

First Post
Chain food is not bad. If you really believe that, you're saying that so many people want to eat bad food they'll make a bad restaurant successful enough to expand. Quite frankly, that's a ridiculous belief. You're saying that either the first restaurant changed to become bad so it could become a chain, or it's food was bad but somehow was successful enough to expand.
I don't think chain food is always bad. However, there are other issues here.

It's often a question of knowledge. Particularly when one is traveling, or entertaining guests from out of town, often the easiest thing to do is to eat at a restaurant where you know what you're going to get. Given the choice between Olive Garden and the neighborhood Italian place, the former is the safer choice. I find that I and other people eat at chains a lot more when we're traveling.

In some cases, the economic reality is that in some areas only chains can survive, and opening a local business is too big of a risk. I ordered Papa John's all the time when I lived in an isolated area and it was basically the only pizza available. Now that I live in a city full of small businesses, I would never do that because now I have better options (and because I know better). But a lot of where these restaurants make money is in essentially uncompetitive small-town situations or airports and other similarly restricted venues. There is a significant urban-rural cultural divide in this topic, I suspect.

However, it's also important that food that creates a pleasure response is not necessarily the best food. The big food vendors have put a lot of research into creating cheap and quasi-addictive food that is often very bad for you. McDonald's is example #1. I didn't stop eating there because I didn't enjoy eating their fries, I stopped because I found out what was in them (and because I got away from fries in general). The line between "food" and "drug" is somewhat artificially drawn, and there are food ingredients out there that probably have just as much reason to be banned as some of the drugs that are illegal for public health reasons.

There's also a legitimate anti-corporate point that probably risks infringing on ENW's politics ban, but suffice it to say even if the food at a chain was as good or better, I'd still rather buy from a local small business.

Popular things don't get popular and stay popular for decades by being bad. McDonald's and Taco Bell aren't big chains because they're bland, pathetic food.
They don't get popular by being good either; any basic knowledge of the behavioral sciences will tell you that. Not that their food is irrelevant, it's simply one of many factors. The best musicians are not always the ones that sell the most albums, the best TV shows are not the ones with the highest ratings, and the best people are not the most popular ones.

Popularity arises from playing to the lowest common denominator, from marketing, from random pop culture trends, from cost, from all kinds of things. And sometimes from quality as well.

I just ate at a chain actually; a local four-restaurant chain that makes very good pizza but also is a business that does a lot of other things right. Local chains; wherein the ownership is still invested in the community and still has a sense of responsibility (and still is at risk if the business fails) are often excellent. Even national chains are sometimes good. Ben and Jerry's makes fantastic ice cream. Not the best, but certainly better than many.

It seems a pertinent analogy for a D&D site that D&D is not the best game in general, or even for most of us individually, simply the one that was most available. It's like a big chain.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
The line between "food" and "drug" is somewhat artificially drawn, and there are food ingredients out there that probably have just as much reason to be banned as some of the drugs that are illegal for public health reasons.

On this point, the FDA is considering declaring transfats unsafe for human consumption. This could radically reshape the peanut butter industry: every one that you don't have to mix to use and refrigerate after opening is full of them.

I HATE cold PB, and the effort of mixing PB to the correct texture is a p.i.t.a. that, should this come to pass, I may never eat PB again. (I already eschew almond butter, macadamia butter, etc.)

Kramodlog

Naked and living in a barrel
If someone likes the food at a particular place, who is anyone to tell them they should find something "better"? I don't chide the girl in my office who drinks Starbucks every day that she should drink water -- it's free and good for you. She likes coffee. It'd be absurd for her to have to defend her choice to me just because I'm on a health kick and she likes her hot caffeine. I certainly wouldn't give her grief about it. Same with someone eating McDonald's. Why should they have to defend their taste to anyone? Why the hell should anyone else care?

Bullgrit
Umm... Coffee is good for you.

Ahnehnois

First Post
On this point, the FDA is considering declaring transfats unsafe for human consumption.
True, but they aren't considering any real regulations of a lot of the things that are effectively used to dress up crap food and make it taste good. There is no ban on MSG coming, or high-fructose corn syrup, or even regulations on amounts of basic things like salt and sugar and fat. But from a scientific perspective, the case for doing that is much stronger than for many other things that are heavily regulated.

The point is that I'm not saying that people don't or shouldn't like McDonald's. I'm saying that them liking it does not make it good. People like cocaine too, and for much the same reason (wasn't there a thread in this very forum on that a little while back?).

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter

Depends on how much you drink- caffeine is both a diuretic and a stimulant. it can cause dehydration, arrythmea, breathing trouble, sleep disruption, hallucinations, and vomiting. While not physically addictive, caffeine withdrawal can cause several nasty physical symptoms, including the jitters, constipation and intense headaches.

So if the person in question had a Java Monkey on his or her back, suggesting they drink water might be good advice.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
True, but they aren't considering any real regulations of a lot of the things that are effectively used to dress up crap food and make it taste good. There is no ban on MSG coming, or high-fructose corn syrup, or even regulations on amounts of basic things like salt and sugar and fat. But from a scientific perspective, the case for doing that is much stronger than for many other things that are heavily regulated.

Consider the proposed Trans-fat ban as a test case for measuring the FDA's power. If they do so, and it stands up to whatever challenges that arise, they'll fundamentally change a lot of processed foods, and will virtually annihilate store-shelf PB. That's not just a food issue, it's a jobs & lifestyle issue.

Which will let them know if they have the political juice to go after MSG, added sweeteners, and meaningful regs on fat and salt...which would also mean going to war with the FF industry as a whole.

Quis custodiet et ipsos agricustodes?

Consider the proposed Trans-fat ban as a test case for measuring the FDA's power. If they do so, and it stands up to whatever challenges that arise, they'll fundamentally change a lot of processed foods, and will virtually annihilate store-shelf PB. That's not just a food issue, it's a jobs & lifestyle issue.

Which will let them know if they have the political juice to go after MSG, added sweeteners, and meaningful regs on fat and salt...which would also mean going to war with the FF industry as a whole.

Quis custodiet et ipsos agricustodes?
Sounds very sexy.

Ahnehnois

First Post
[MENTION=19675]Dannyalcatraz[/MENTION]
Maybe. We'll see. There's a lot of politics that go into this stuff. Given what a mess the system that produces all this food is, and how entrenched some of the really bad policies are, I have a hard time seeing the public good winning out.

Of course, even if the FDA suddenly developed the ability to force all food vendors to sell only whole grains and vegetables, that wouldn't force the big fast food chains to start paying their workers, or stop all their anti-competitive practices and ethically dubious marketing, nor would it enable them to create fresh and creative food.

Remove ads