Do you have $6666? Rob Schwalb Launches Shadow of the Demon Lord!

Veteran RPG designer Robert J. Schwalb (a name which always takes me three attempts to type!) has launched his Shadow of the Demon Lord Kickstarter. You know his work - Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, various editions of D&D, Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire, and more, and this new game is designed to offer "intuitive rules, fast play, and a dark and nasty setting perfect for creating stories of dark fantasy." The Kickstarter launched earlier today, as in almost funded already.

Veteran RPG designer Robert J. Schwalb (a name which always takes me three attempts to type!) has launched his Shadow of the Demon Lord Kickstarter. You know his work - Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, various editions of D&D, Green Ronin's A Song of Ice and Fire, and more, and this new game is designed to offer "intuitive rules, fast play, and a dark and nasty setting perfect for creating stories of dark fantasy." The Kickstarter launched earlier today, as in almost funded already.

Schwalb cites Joe Abercrombie's novel, Glenn Cook's Black Company, and WFRP as his influences. I mentioned it before back last October. Shadow of the Demon Lord is already written and playtested - the Kickstarter is for layout, printing, and so on. You can get a copy of the starter guide for as low as $6, and the game in PDF for $24. Print versions start at $66. If you're willing to pay $6666, Rob will even travel to your home and run a game for you. In fact, many of the rewards are "6" themed - $6, $66, $666, etc.

Click on the image below to jump straight there!

GMXFlyer.jpg

R

RevTurkey

I'm glad this has hit it's funding goals. Robert has an excellent track record and has produced many products that I like but....boy, this is expensive. $66 for a 120 page softcover book? Blimey! Too steep for me. Great that it has funded though. It sound interesting.

tripleneck

First Post
I'm glad this has hit it's funding goals. Robert has an excellent track record and has produced many products that I like but....boy, this is expensive. $66 for a 120 page softcover book? Blimey! Too steep for me. Great that it has funded though. It sound interesting.

I really like the looks of this, but it seems like too much money for what you get.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer

Yeah, this pretty much seems to be headed in the direction of a luxury item. I desperately tried to see some (monetary) worht in it, but the Tales of the Demon Lords addition is, what, a 22 page PDF?

The prices pushed it out of my "I want this even though I don't do Kickstarter anymore" and into the "Wait for it on the secondary market" category.

eMalc

First Post
I want to back it myself, but $66 is a lot to ask for a 120 softcover book as you all say. The description also makes me wonder just how indepth the actual system is and how indepth character progression is. They're both described in excitingly paced paragraphs but from what I understand of them, they're heavily narrative based. That's not a bad thing by any means, but if I'm going to drop $66 into a single PnP book I'm going to want some serious crunch to run a game with.

Does anyone know if there are additional resources available showing off the actual system behind this? Or if I'm just missing these details on the page itself. I'm still tempted because it does just look that nice and the setting seems really good, but I'd rather make an informed decision.

Remove ads

Remove ads