• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you let magic bow and magic ammo stack?

KrazyHades

First Post
Do you allow bonuses on a magic bow (say, a +1 flaming bow) and a set of arrows (say, +1 sonic arrows) to get 1d6 fire+1d6 sonic+2?

shilsen

Adventurer
I play it by the RAW, which means the flaming and sonic would stack but the enhancement bonuses would overlap.

Infiniti2000

First Post
KrazyHades said:
Do you allow bonuses on a magic bow (say, a +1 flaming bow) and a set of arrows (say, +1 sonic arrows) to get 1d6 fire+1d6 sonic+2?
One of the best changes in 3.5 was to disallow the enhancement bonuses from stacking.

Darklone

kigmatzomat said:
MC is 3.0 and RAW so yes, darn it. On the flip side, bows break oh so very easily when huge monsters target them.
I'm a rather traditional bow user which means:

Enemy is close enough to strike at your bow ==> You're a bad archer. Get an axe.

Shin Okada

Explorer
I don't feel any need for letting two enhancement bonuses stack.

If you allow it, you will soon see clerics start to cast Greater Magic Weapon on both Bow and Arrows and give incredibly high total bonus to archers.

Archimedes314

First Post
Shin Okada said:
I don't feel any need for letting two enhancement bonuses stack.

If you allow it, you will soon see clerics start to cast Greater Magic Weapon on both Bow and Arrows and give incredibly high total bonus to archers.

Yeah, this is why the cleric archer was so good in 3.0. Seriously, clerics are awesome already, there is no need to power them up even further.

green slime

First Post
Shin Okada said:

Which is the real problem, and not the actual stacking itself. The ease by which GMW totally removes the need for purchased magical arrows.

I allow the ammunition to stack, together with the bow or xbow.

But I have changed magical weapon and to GMW only affect a single piece of Ammunition.

With this simple rule enforced, once again, a set of 12 +3 arrows becomes a valued treasure.

Shin Okada

Explorer
green slime said:
Which is the real problem, and not the actual stacking itself. The ease by which GMW totally removes the need for purchased magical arrows.

I allow the ammunition to stack, together with the bow or xbow.

But I have changed magical weapon and to GMW only affect a single piece of Ammunition.

With this simple rule enforced, once again, a set of 12 +3 arrows becomes a valued treasure.

While a set of 12 +3 arrows are often not valued treasure, a set of +1 flaming/shock arrows are.

Or, +3 arrows are still good for someone with +1 Holy bow.

And with your rule, those +3 arrows fired from a +3 bow (maybe created by GMW) has +6 enhancement bonus and thus bypass DR/Epic. And at the higher end, archers can still get +10 to attack and damage, while melee weapon wielders can only get +5.

Remove ads