• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you let your clerics have all the spells?

Eridanis

Bard 7/Mod (ret) 10/Mgr 3
Hjorimir said:
I use the P-Kitty/Sagiro method. It works great!

I use it, too, even unilaterally in the campaign I'm playing in where the DM didn't much care. It just makes sense to limit power. I also think of it as an oppotunity to define the character, since what spells are on her list help differentiate her (a cleric of Mielikki) from other clerics (like a cleric of Torm, for example).

Jolly Giant

First Post
I give clerics (and druids) all PHB spells, plus the one's I allow from Complete Divine. If a player wants a spell from any other book, he must first run it by me. If he asks me at the start of a session (like your guy did), I'll give him a yes or no next session. If I ok the spell, he'll either have to research it himself or find someone who has already done it.

Shallown

First Post
Kwitchit I'll see what I can do. Right now it is in Wordperfect 7 which is an old platform so I might be able to turn it into a word doc. I put everything in tables to make it look neat.

Later

Shallown

First Post
here are the attachments

One details the gods the other is the spell list

Attachments

• clericspelllist.doc
    138.2 KB · Views: 57
  • THREERIVERSGODS.doc
    37.9 KB · Views: 66

SkidAce

Legend
Supporter
Kae'Yoss said:
As every other day, they prayed for guidance, and today they found that their gods grants those spells, too.

Clerics don't need to keep prayer books or anything like that. They receive divine power directly from their patron. They get what their patron gives them, no more, no less.

Was not implying prayer books. Nor even discovering ancient knowledge.

But there is no need for a cleric of a light and protection deity to just assume since WotC put out a new book with 100 new spells that his deity would sponser all 100 of them.

How about two radically different clerics in the same party getting up one morning and both just aquired the 100 new spells?

I don't stifle players...but some in game reasoning, like the cleric of light inspired by his god choosing some light based spells to add to his selection and not the other 90 spells just suits us better. He could even rationalize a divine fireball as a blast of light for all I care.

We just want some in game cause and effect.

Oh, and I get to act the role of his diety...so if I only like 10 of the 100 new spells...he only gets inspiration for 10. (we discuss off stage of course)

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
I agree with the "if you want a spell that's not from the phb, then it will require a side-quest" I'll use it on my next campaign. wizards and clerics will have access to the phb spells, and maybe a few low-lvl "extra-phb" spells, if they want more than those, they have to research them, spend time on the library, or...use my custom merchant, he'll sell anything you need, and give you whatever info you need, you just have to pay. don't have cash? it's nothing that a small job won't solve, like retrieving a stolen item, colecting herbs, colecting money from a debt...

If a player is planning on chosing that kind of spells, they'll just have to give me the spell's description. then, if I see that it fits the campaign, they may chose it naturaly, or have to search for it.

In the case of a bard, I'll allow him to know the spell, but only as part of a gossip, or a talk between spellcasters, only after he actually learns how to do it, will he be able to use it. I'm still trying to figure out how to make this work for the druid...

Remove ads