• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you like edition wars?

Do you like edition wars?

• Yes! Bring it on beeyatch!

Votes: 47 24.0%
  • No, they should all be banned!

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Meh.

Votes: 65 33.2%
  • Lemony Snickett

Votes: 22 11.2%

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
Here’s the secret. Just imagine the crybabies, flamers, threadcrappers, and trolls are a Monte Python skit.
You know what? That's pretty good advice. 1 XP for you!

I think you'll find that the discussions are more palatable once you've added the 25 or 30 worst offenders to your ignore list. It's not quite a ban, but it works. Plus it has the added virtue of them wasting time writing elaborate responses that you'll never even have to see.
Nah, I don't like to block other peoples' posts. From what I've seen so far, people who aren't on my Ignore List will quote the most inflamatory posts of the ones who are, so it doesn't really do any good.

Besides...if they were to straighten up and fly right, I'd never know.

Last edited:

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
WHA?!?! Monty Python is like..like..like pie.

And everyone likes pie.
How dare you.

Monty Python is too videogamey, and obviously draws too much influence from World of Warcraft. And besides...how can anyone possibly know what Monty Python is like unless they have had at least five speaking roles in the Flying Circus television show? People who like Monty Python are being deceived by Hasbro. Come and see the conspiracy inherent in the system! Help help, we are being repressed!

Heh. Yep, RFisher...it totally works! :)

In the general sense, I respectfully disagree. Argument can lead to positive outcomes, from time to time.

(And no, I'm not trying to start one with you here. :) )

Anyway, back to the thread!

I agree a that a good argument can produce some positive things. There is a level of genuine feeling and a sense of caring about the subject matter that is expressed in an argument that is sometimes missing from a normal discussion. When the argument is down to just insults, name calling, and repetitions of " no it isn't" then the argument has lost its usefulness.

It isn't just saying " no it isn't". " Yes it IS!!"

Oh my now we HAVE turned this into a Monty Python skit.:p

The Shaman

First Post
Edition wars often amount to, "I'm right and you're wrong."
Sometimes there is a right answer and a wrong answer.

Some posters have a hard time distinguishing between their own cherished opinions nurtured by years of anecdote and coccooned in hazy memory and what's actually written in the rules, modules, et cetera.

Serving up opinion as fact is a bad idea, particularly when the so-called 'fact' is demonstrably wrong.

pawsplay

Hero
This about sums it up for me. Discussion is good and healthy. Argument is not healthy, and generally counterproductive for all concerned. I will be very happy when people can talk about the editions without having to call each other idiots or otherwise treat each other badly in the process.

That's not an argument, that's a fight.

Oni

First Post
WHA?!?! Monty Python is like..like..like pie.

And everyone likes pie.

I dated a girl who refused to eat pie.

Anyway, I enjoy a well thought out argument and respect a well put together opinion even if it differs from my own. If a post makes you think it's a good one. There are some smart people that post in these "edition wars" so there is some gold to be found.

On the other hand the ill-informed parroting what they've heard from others, the people that post simple to give voice to an irrational hatred over and over again with no grace. Those that would rather spend their time tearing down people, or are not content to let others enjoy something even if they cannot. Well those people suck, and they make "edition wars" suck too.

So if you're bored enough to wade through the filth it can be entertaining, but meh.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads