• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do you like edition wars?

Do you like edition wars?

• Yes! Bring it on beeyatch!

Votes: 47 24.0%
  • No, they should all be banned!

Votes: 62 31.6%
  • Meh.

Votes: 65 33.2%
  • Lemony Snickett

Votes: 22 11.2%

RFisher

Explorer
Unfortunately, you have to wade through all of the flamethrowers and crybabies, and endure a lot of threadcapping and trolling, to get to anything worthwhile. So I say let edition war threads exist...but ban the crybabies, flamers, threadcappers, and trolls.

Here’s the secret. Just imagine the crybabies, flamers, threadcrappers, and trolls are a Monte Python skit.

(...unless you don’t enjoy Monte Python...)

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The edition-comparison (or discussion, or war, whatever) threads are to me by far the most informative regular features to be found here.

I enjoy comparing editions, and seeing how others have found - and solved - problems with them all; along with sharing some of my own solution attempts. And let's face it, all the editions have *some* problems. :) What I take away are ideas, sometimes ripe for the steal...er, adapting into my own game. And if a given thread degenerates into a brawl, I just move on to the next one...

Also, if people jump in and say "Edition x sucks!", well at least I know the bias underlying anything else they post. :)

Lanefan

Wayside

Explorer
Unfortunately, you have to wade through all of the flamethrowers and crybabies, and endure a lot of threadcapping and trolling, to get to anything worthwhile. So I say let edition war threads exist...but ban the crybabies, flamers, threadcappers, and trolls.
I think you'll find that the discussions are more palatable once you've added the 25 or 30 worst offenders to your ignore list. It's not quite a ban, but it works. Plus it has the added virtue of them wasting time writing elaborate responses that you'll never even have to see.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I think you'll find that the discussions are more palatable once you've added the 25 or 30 worst offenders to your ignore list. It's not quite a ban, but it works. Plus it has the added virtue of them wasting time writing elaborate responses that you'll never even have to see.
I'll never "ignore" anyone.

Sooner or later, everyone has something worthwhile to say. I'd like to be able to see it when it happens.

Lanefan

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
*Groan* That's really old school there, Psion, which I'm sure was your intention, but still, the intestinal distress it causes is quantifiable.

I move that we put a moratorium on crusty old meme necromancy. Who's with me?
Yeah; I blame Piratecat.

I'll never "ignore" anyone.

Sooner or later, everyone has something worthwhile to say. I'd like to be able to see it when it happens.

Lanefan
I used to think that... But there have been a very select few posters in the past that just only managed to go on my nerves and I had no hope of them posting something worthy enough to compensate.

It gets easier after the first, but my list is still small. ;)

jdrakeh

Front Range Warlock
I hate edition wars.

I find myself making up more and more excuses not to play RPGs these days. This has nothing to do with the gamers whom I know locally but, rather, with the increasingly large number of :):):):):):):)s who have saturated the Internet gaming sites that I was once fond of.

The amount of bile that seems to define an increasing number of Internet gaming communities makes the hobby a chore for me. I have to try to like it sometimes. It wasn't always like that. The Internet has hasn't ruined tabletop RPGs for me yet, but it seems to be working toward that end.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure the world was full of :):):):):):):)s before the advent of the Internet, but I didn't know any of them (or many of them, anyhow). As it turns out, what they say is true — ignorance is bliss (or was for me in this regard, anyhow).

I sometimes think that I'd be better off taking up fly fishing, as I won't have to deal with dozens of stupid :):):):):):):)s hounding me across the Internet if I don't use the same flies/line/reels that they do. Or pressing wildflowers. Or collecting buttons. Or anything other than playing RPGs, really. :(

Last edited:

Harlekin

First Post
Of course at this point the population of ENworld is preselected. Or do you think gamers that really dislike edition wars still hang out here as much as they used to?

It's like a restaurant that serves mainly pork after 6 months asking their customers if they like pork.

Kzach

Banned
Banned

Can you send me your list? :D

Dragonhelm

Knight of Solamnia
Edition wars often amount to, "I'm right and you're wrong." That's a mentality that pervades the human existence, from politics to religion to sports and so on. It's kind of natural for them to crop up on the internet. That being said, that doesn't make them right.

Personally, I think it's about respect. We can say, "I like this edition, but if you like that edition, then more power to you." I've left forums before for edition wars.

And hey, some of us like multiple editions. ;) I like elements from AD&D, 3e, 4e, C&C, and so on. So I don't join in on threads that bash any of those.

Remove ads