Do You Play Subsequent Campaigns In The Same World

Do You Play Subsequent Campaigns In The Same World

• Yes, there are multiple campaigns happening in the world simultaneously and may affect one another.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Yes, campaigns are successive and the previous campaign happened in the world.

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • Yes, and the world is a homebrew creation.

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • Yes, and the world is a published setting.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Yes, and the campaigns are mostly homebrew creations.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Yes, and the campaigns are mostly published campaigns, APs or adventures.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Yes, and the PCs of a new campaign are related to the PCs of a former campaign.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Yes, but the new PC group is not connected to other PC groups.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • No, we use the same world but reset it each time.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • No, we usually start with a whole new world each campaign.

Votes: 11 18.3%

pemerton

Legend
do you play multiple campaigns in the same world
For FRPGing, my default is Greyhawk. I've used it for AD&D, Rolemaster, Burning Wheel and Torchbearer.

with events in each campaign affecting the state of that world?
I tend to pick and choose what seems interesting or relevant. I'm pretty relaxed about setting details. For instance, in an AD&D game over 30 years ago, I set the Keep on the Borderlands in the Horned Society. In a Burning Wheel game in the past decade, I set the Keep on the south-western edge of the Abor-Alz.

aco175

Legend
For all of 5e days I have run several campaigns in the greater Phandalin region. A few follow each other and built upon the last one such as the town has been redrawn to increase in size with a gold boom and new NPCs are encountered and the old ones still come up. My son seem to hate Harbin Wester in all the campaigns. I did run a Leilon and a PotA in Red Larch campaign that did not really go back and forth to Phandalin. The timeline never seems to come up other than one Phandalin campaign following the next in the next year, whatever year that is- but it does not matter.

gamerprinter

Mapper/Publisher
Many campaigns occur on the same world, sometimes successive, but often time separated enough for no interaction with other campaigns. Sometimes I use a different setting. We often go back to long term, favorite settings - so the past settings don't die, just sometimes I take a break and introduce a new setting for a single campaign long or short. I enjoy setting design, and because I publish, sometimes becomes something to finish and release. I chose Yes, but my setting is homebrew (which seems a majority in the poll, so far...)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Something I've always wanted to do is use a rules light and very fatal system like Trophy Dark to run a group through a dungeon or adventuring location and then run that same place again using the 'main' system with the results of the TD game cast as a historical (and very failed) set of events that are reflected in the current framing.

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Using the WotC adventures, typically they don't impact each other, except that there's a bit of Tyranny of Dragons stuff in Storm Kings Thunder

Eyes of Nine

Everything's Fine
Something I've always wanted to do is use a rules light and very fatal system like Trophy Dark to run a group through a dungeon or adventuring location and then run that same place again using the 'main' system with the results of the TD game cast as a historical (and very failed) set of events that are reflected in the current framing.
Same! Although I hadn't gotten so far as to which systems.

But thought it would be fun for the players to encounter their old character's dead bodies (not necessarily quiet though lol)

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
Same! Although I hadn't gotten so far as to which systems.

But thought it would be fun for the players to encounter their old character's dead bodies (not necessarily quiet though lol)
Trophy Dark is pretty perfect because the survival horror thrust of the rules generally sets survival expectations really low and rolls a lot of fun PvP type stuff into the mix.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I have definitely reused campaign worlds, but not often. USUALLY, each campaign is a discrete setting.

But I reused my supers setting based on Space:1889, HG Wells, Jules Verne, etc. once- in 2 different systems- and would consider doing it again.

And in my longest running game group, we had a shared-world setting (3 DMs) that had several active adventuring groups from 1st to 20th+.

Last edited:

Remove ads