Do You Play Subsequent Campaigns In The Same World

Do You Play Subsequent Campaigns In The Same World

• Yes, there are multiple campaigns happening in the world simultaneously and may affect one another.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Yes, campaigns are successive and the previous campaign happened in the world.

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • Yes, and the world is a homebrew creation.

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • Yes, and the world is a published setting.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Yes, and the campaigns are mostly homebrew creations.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Yes, and the campaigns are mostly published campaigns, APs or adventures.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Yes, and the PCs of a new campaign are related to the PCs of a former campaign.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Yes, but the new PC group is not connected to other PC groups.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • No, we use the same world but reset it each time.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • No, we usually start with a whole new world each campaign.

Votes: 11 18.3%

Reynard

Legend
This came up in a different thread and wanted to do a poll:

Basically, do you play multiple campaigns in the same world, with events in each campaign affecting the state of that world?

I have tried to add enough poll options to get some granularity (so choose all that apply), but as always expound in the comments.

Thanks.

ichabod

Legned
I said the campaigns were successive, but they just happen at different times in the history of my world. I had one happen around the year 390 in my world, then two around year 650, and the current one is in the 1350's. The two in the year 650 were playing at the same time, but were in wildly different parts of the world, and my homebrew world is huge.

prabe

Tension, apprension, and dissension have begun
Supporter
I checked the "may affect one another" box, because it can happen (and almost has) but I mostly try to avoid it. Mostly, now and in the future, by setting the start dates further apart--though it's entirely possible for a campaign to leave/do things other campaigns might have to deal with.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Heck, I haven't run two campaigns in a row using the same system, much less the same world in... decades. Classic Deadlands, Atomic Robo, Ashen Stars, D&D. Next, who knows? Maybe Scum and Villany, maybe Savage Worlds, maybe some Avatar Legends, maybe more D&D.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
Depends on the DM. In one of my games, the DM is running his 4th campaign in his own homebrew world, which has recurring NPCs from previous games.

When I DM, I bounce from world to world with no continuity. The only setting I've ever used more than once was Eberron, and the two campaigns were entirely unrelated.

Doc_Klueless

Doors and Corners
I like my homebrew world. So much that I tend to base all my fantasy campaigns (regardless of system used) within in. I also use my own campaigns.

But...

I shamelessly beg, borrow and steal from other sources.

The-Magic-Sword

Small Ball Archmage
Yes, although I've got at least one player who disapproves of that fact because to him it's more interesting to jump to a totally new world every campaign or two, but for me, there's always so much within the same world to explore it doesn't feel very necessary.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
The addition I'll throw in is that the multiple campaigns can not only affect one another but can directly interact with one another - parties can meet, swap information and-or characters, and so forth.

Also, characters may not be specifically related (as in, part of the same family) to those in different parties, but odds are high some of them will know, or know of, each other.

Disclaimer: I'm using "campaign" here differently than my usual: to me, all those parties in the same world add up to a campaign.

Remove ads