Do You Play Subsequent Campaigns In The Same World

Do You Play Subsequent Campaigns In The Same World

• Yes, there are multiple campaigns happening in the world simultaneously and may affect one another.

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Yes, campaigns are successive and the previous campaign happened in the world.

Votes: 27 45.0%
  • Yes, and the world is a homebrew creation.

Votes: 33 55.0%
  • Yes, and the world is a published setting.

Votes: 14 23.3%
  • Yes, and the campaigns are mostly homebrew creations.

Votes: 20 33.3%
  • Yes, and the campaigns are mostly published campaigns, APs or adventures.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • Yes, and the PCs of a new campaign are related to the PCs of a former campaign.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • Yes, but the new PC group is not connected to other PC groups.

Votes: 13 21.7%
  • No, we use the same world but reset it each time.

Votes: 7 11.7%
  • No, we usually start with a whole new world each campaign.

Votes: 11 18.3%

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
I think I've played in most of those modes, so I just ticked the few most common in my personal experience. The main answers for me are "Yes" and "mostly homebrews".

* For the record, that includes campaigns played later in real time, but earlier in game time. For example, I've done a handful of campaigns that took place in the prehistory of an already played campaign setting. I only mention that since it wasn't immediately clear to me what was meant by "successive" (game time or real time) in the survey questions.

BookTenTiger

He / Him
I know I'm unusual in this, but I love crafting a new world for each campaign. I usually create a basic idea (like "medieval valley ruled by vampires"), and then modify it based on the characters (making their races the common races of the valley, putting in elements of their backgrounds, making guilds or groups based on their classes, etc). I just find the creation process a lot of fun!

Fenris-77

Small God of the Dozens
Supporter
I have a system agnostic OSR setting that I'm continually tinkering with. I've used it four or five times now, and with more than one system. I haven't built pervious campaigns into the setting lore but that's mostly because the setting itself is still a work in progress. I've used some of those games to fine tune various ideas and different areas.

ichabod

Legned
I know I'm unusual in this, but I love crafting a new world for each campaign. I usually create a basic idea (like "medieval valley ruled by vampires"), and then modify it based on the characters (making their races the common races of the valley, putting in elements of their backgrounds, making guilds or groups based on their classes, etc). I just find the creation process a lot of fun!
What I did was make a world with over 10,000 times the surface area of the Earth. Now I can do all of that and still have it all in the same world.

It's a little tricky to answer the questions. In the majority of the cases, the answer is no - either we switch to a different world (often enough also to a different game) or the campaigns exist independently. There are a few exceptions, tough: when playing a series of adventures instead of a full adventure-path like campaign, there were cases in which previous adventuring groups' results influenced new groups (sometimes also one or two members of the old group continued as part of the new group).

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I don't think (or I certainly hope) that isn't unusual at all.

rgard

Adventurer
I've used the same world I created in 2000 using 3.0 then 3.5. It's Atlantis before the deluge around 12,000 BC. The players usually start off in the capital Poseidonis. It's mostly a sandbox and each time I create something for the players adventure-wise, that becomes part of the world. There's no rhyme or reason to the world. We have dragons, giants, orcs, hobgoblins, undead angels, demons, etc. Pretty much anything I feel will fit for a given adventure. We even have one thrikreen PC in the world solely due to the Harbinger mini my oldest got in 2003 when he was 11. The major NPCs in the world are mostly converted 1E PCs I played back in the late 70s, early 80s.

I've been working my way through the original MM (using 3.5 versions of the monsters) to make sure everybody can say they've fought a rust monster, t-rex, ghast, ghoul, etc. I've used a lot of 1E modules updated to 3.5.

Currently we have three groups of PCs in the world. The higher level group just finished off G2. After they deal with the fire giants the players want to sack the Temple of Pelor to settle a long running feud. The middle level group has been reconstituted from the PCs played back in the early 2000s and the lower level group has some new players joining the long term players.

JEB

Legend
My second D&D campaign was set some time after my first D&D campaign, in the same world; but I'm not sure my players really noticed. The third, shared D&D campaign was a new setting, though we also ran some one-shots set in other parts of the world. Not sure what we'll do in a fourth campaign.

(I also toyed with a crossover one-shot between my original campaign setting, the shared campaign setting, and the Mutants & Masterminds campaign between the two... but only a few players were veterans of all three settings, so I wasn't sure it was worthwhile.)

Remove ads