Do you prefer Monster statistics in an adventure's text or at the end

Where do you prefer NPC/Monster stats in a published adventure?

• Near the text where the NPC/Monster is first mentioned

Votes: 145 74.4%
  • In the back of the adventure in an appendix

Votes: 50 25.6%

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
How long are the stat blocks?

For high-level NPCs and monsters, in a pull-out section.

For 1st level goblins and kiobolds, in the adventure text.

Cheers1

pogre

Legend
MerricB said:
How long are the stat blocks?

Great question - let's say it is a high level adventure would you prefer those big stat blocks in the back. Remember a pullout section is not a choice - yet ;)

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Elder-Basilisk said:
well, actually, the best of all possible worlds would be to have pre-printed 3x5 initiative cards with all the statblocks printed on them and room to record changes in their hit points...

Yup... I got so sick of flipping in RttToEE that that's pretty much exactly what I did.

Some stat blocks took up more than one card, of course, and in some of them I got down to a 4pt font...

-Hyp.

d4

First Post
i'd prefer them all in one place, like in the back of the book as an appendix.

like E-B, i make index cards of stat blocks, so dispersing them out all throughout the book makes it much harder for me to collect them all. :)

TheAuldGrump

First Post
Another vote for both.

Ideally I would like a pullout summary that can be copied, then marked up as the poor, innocent creatures are eliminated by the crass, vulgar party...

The Auld Grump

JoeGKushner

First Post
Back in the day, I used to like it when the stats were all collected in the back. For common foes, like orcs, it saved a lot of space. As I get older I find that it's more convinent to have it listed where the encounter takes place, even if it's a less wise use of space. Then there is the whole flipping factor. Another annoyance.

Sigurd

First Post
Elder-Basilisk said:
It depends what range of levels the adventure covers. If it's an adventure written to support 1st through 14th level characters for instance, I think having the statblocks in the back is the only reasonable way to do it.

Unfortunately the best solutions always burn more paper\space. If the module covers a lot of levels I prefer to have the monsters from each part of the range grouped by party experience. ie the encounter might refer to orc p.22/Gnoll p35/ death sladd p78. I personally prefer if the monsters are arranged in sections according to the level of the party this might mean some duplication. All the sections might have orcs. I don't want to leave the high level section if I'm playing a high level party

Sigurd

Uller

Adventurer
I voted for near the encounter. In _most_ cases that is the only time you use the NPC/monsters. However, when I write my own adventures (which is more commonly the case...I rarely run prefab adventures) I put the stats for fodder-type monsters in the encounter (it saves me having to open up the monster manual and I can outfit them with interesting equipment/feats/skills). For NPCs that are more likely to be reused or be encountered several times, I put them on an index card.

Remove ads