Do you prefer Monster statistics in an adventure's text or at the end

Where do you prefer NPC/Monster stats in a published adventure?

• Near the text where the NPC/Monster is first mentioned

Votes: 145 74.4%
  • In the back of the adventure in an appendix

Votes: 50 25.6%

Arnwyn

First Post
*sigh* No third choice. I can't vote, because my option isn't there.

My answer is: "it depends" (or "both"). If the monster/NPC is found in a set location in the , then in the text is good. If the monster/NPC can be found in many locations, then in an appendix is best.

MM monster statistics should never be included, IMO. Just a reference to the MM is what I'd like in the adventure text (and save precious space for more adventure details).

Davelozzi

Explorer
I didn't read the whole thread but I prefer them in the back so I can just photocopy the relevnt pages and keep them handy as I run battles.

Destan

Citizen of Val Hor
Welp, pogie, I heeded your advice (and the advice of my editor).

Repositioned the statblocks from an appendix to be included with the actual encounters themselves. I'd imagine the publisher will also offer a pdf version for download with all the stats in one handy area, as well.

Salacious D

Kalendraf

Explorer
I would prefer both, but what I really want is a set of tactics for the monster mentioned in the encounter text, along with some reminders about key special abilities that may try to be exploited in the encounter.

I often find that running a new creature with so many options and abilities makes it too easy to overlook a key one and accidentally nerf the encounter by mistake. Just a few quick sentences about a few of the major abilities that will come into play for this encounter would be greatly appreciated.

For the tactics, I don't necessarily want a round-by-round detail version, but rather a list of some sound well thought out tactics the foe might attempt based on what led up to this or what happens during the fight.

Remove ads