Do you prefer Monster statistics in an adventure's text or at the end

Where do you prefer NPC/Monster stats in a published adventure?

• Near the text where the NPC/Monster is first mentioned

Votes: 145 74.4%
  • In the back of the adventure in an appendix

Votes: 50 25.6%

mkletch

First Post
Crothian said:
I like them with the encounter, saves on page flipping.

But what would be best is to havea pull out section with the stat blocks in it. THat way the module can be opened and the stat blocks can be used easily with out taking up room.

I'm all with that. I tend to use a lot of sources at once - DMG, PHB, 2-4 monster books for embellishments, a misc source like CW. With all of those open at once, I don't have the luxury of constantly flipping. Now, if there was some way to get the stats electronically, so I could print them in whatever format I wanted, then an e-index would be my first choice. Not seeing that from the pubs, though.

-Fletch!

RavenProject

First Post
Very simple, the last page of the book should be a folded double page, that can be unfolded to the outside. So, basicly you would have three pages in front of you, where the left one and the middle one are those from the book and the right one is the unfolded page with the statblocks. There is simply no better way doing it IMHO.

Celtavian

Dragon Lord
re

Major villains that can be in multiple places in the back with a good listing of recommended tactics.

Minor monsters and NPC's in the text.

Targeteron

Explorer
Well i like the way it has been handled in Lost city of barakus best. Basicly some VERY short info about the NPC where it appears and all the detail statblocks in an appendix. Just works better with me when preparing for an adventure and finding NPCs again if i want to use them or someone similar in a homegrown or other adventure. Also when i prepare i first read it just through and i find long statblocks highly annoying, since they break up the text. The flipping through the pages is not so bad for me since i split my preparation into flavor/descriptions first and then combat/tactics. before playing i copy the statblocks for use at the gaming table anyway, even though pull out would be even better. That way i can make my own notes on them easily and have only one sheet of paper to handle at the gaming table during a fight and dont need to have the book open. I hate it when i have to copy a whole page with some flavor text on it when i only need the statblock information.

just my 0.2 €

Psion

Adventurer
In the appendix, if at all. MM page references save space; only include them if the creature is special or in a supplmental monster book.

However (and this is a mistake I see a lot) ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have page references! A can handle flipping pages. I cannot handle searching in game time.

D'karr

Adventurer
Statblocks are too big

I'd prefer to have all information on a creature together. Unfortunately the current statblocks take up a lot of space. In some cases almost a whole page.

References to the MM are good if you are only using one creature or creature type. As soon as you have multiple creatures you end up having to flip through the MM instead of the adventure.

In addition, complex creatures like a dragon should be completely statted out in the adventure. Have you ever tried flipping through the dragon section for information on a dragon? Several tables, etc... Very messy.

My preference would be an appendix that can be easily printed or photocopied with the statblock information and a short reference in the relevant adventure area.

When I say short I mean:

Creature AC:X HP:Y - see appendix Z.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
Silveras said:
I did not vote, because my response would be "both".

I would prefer a short stat block in the text near its "normal" location, with a matching lookup stat block in the summary list.

I voted for "in the text" but really, having a summary in the text and a full write up in back would probably be ideal.

I need the stats to be where I'm going to use them - which 99% of the time is in the keyed area that the party encounters them.

diaglo

Adventurer
both. stat blocks or very simple things like number, hps, or weaponry in the encounter. and more detailed stuff as an appendix in the end or as a pullout.

francisca

I got dice older than you.
Elder-Basilisk said:
well, actually, the best of all possible worlds would be to have pre-printed 3x5 initiative cards with all the statblocks printed on them and room to record changes in their hit points (and other commonly changing things like AC and attack and damage bonusses--you'd need something a little bit more like the cards that come with the D&D minis sets than like a standard statblock.

This is exactly what I do. I use the free initiative cards from The Game Mechanics. Most useful free download I've ever used.

You can find them here near the bottom of the page.

These look good as well:

The Other Game Company The author frequents these boards and he also offers monster cards pre-filled out with stats for the SRD monsters.

Frankly, I find the stat blocks are too cumbersome to look through quickly. I find the cards to be much quicker.

Last edited:

Remove ads