• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Do You Think Spare the Dying is a Problem?

Is Spare the Dying a Problem?

• I have played a lot of D&D Next, and it is a problem.

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • I have played a lot of D&D Next, and it is not a problem.

Votes: 58 42.6%
  • I haven't played a lot of D&D Next, but it seems like a problem.

Votes: 17 12.5%
  • I haven't played a lot of D&D Next, but it doesn't seem like a problem.

Votes: 22 16.2%
  • I am a servant of the Secret Fire, and you cannot pass.

Votes: 22 16.2%

Skyscraper

Explorer
Apologies for this question, that everyone appears to have the answer to: but is Spare the Dying not a (full) action? My PHB lists the casting time as an action, and the errata does not appear to correct this spell (unless it's out of date? I find no more recent errrata than that dated August 2017 for the PHB.

Or, are you all assuming that the clerci will cast Spare the Dying, plus another bonus action spell?

Or, am I missing something obvious here? (Quite likely! :) )

5ekyu

Hero
Apologies for this question, that everyone appears to have the answer to: but is Spare the Dying not a (full) action? My PHB lists the casting time as an action, and the errata does not appear to correct this spell (unless it's out of date? I find no more recent errrata than that dated August 2017 for the PHB.

Or, are you all assuming that the clerci will cast Spare the Dying, plus another bonus action spell?

Or, am I missing something obvious here? (Quite likely! :) )
It is *now* a one action cantrip and so could be cast with say any bonus action spell. Healing word? Spiritual hamner?

Oofta

Legend
Not sure why this has been resurrected, but spare the dying is now one of the lamest spells in the book. Take up a cantrip slot to do something you can do with a healer's kit or a medicine check? Why?

CapnZapp

Legend
This thread is from the play test, and back then Spare the Dying was a bonus Action and healed 1hp.
Ah. It didn't just set your hp to 1 (if it was lower).

Then I get it. Yeah infinite healing is broken as frank, and obviously needed removed.

Some gritty campaigns would be ruined if 100 damage could be healed for free, even if it took a hundred rounds.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Not sure why this has been resurrected, but spare the dying is now one of the lamest spells in the book. Take up a cantrip slot to do something you can do with a healer's kit or a medicine check? Why?
Actual serious question...if spare the dying cost 1 action and returned the target to exactly 1 HP, what would its power level be? Too good, not good enough, pretty decent?

Oofta

Legend
Actual serious question...if spare the dying cost 1 action and returned the target to exactly 1 HP, what would its power level be? Too good, not good enough, pretty decent?

Personally I'd be ok with it. The healer feat would still be better because the first time it's used it restores 1d6+4+level in damage. Another fix would be to give it a range or make it a bonus action.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Personally I'd be ok with it. The healer feat would still be better because the first time it's used it restores 1d6+4+level in damage. Another fix would be to give it a range or make it a bonus action.
I was looking at something like healing 1 HP, and giving your level in temp HP. Only usable on targets at 0 HP, of course.

Remove ads