• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Use Your RPG Rules as Written?

• Yes

Votes: 129 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 227 63.8%

Nyeshet

First Post
No, and considering the responces of some on this page, I think that at least half the 'Yes' votes should actually be votes for 'No'. Perhaps even most of the 'Yes' votes should be 'No'. As Auld Grump stated, once you change even a single thing you are no longer playing exactly and precisely by the RAW. The question of the poll is not ambiguous.

I too think that more options should have been given. Specifically, I think there should be four options:

1 - Yes, I use the rules exactly as written.
2 - No, I tweak the rules a bit here and there.
3 - No, I use several house rules &/or 'tweak' the rules significantly.
4 - No, I have made major changes to the rules.

Examples for 2, 3, & 4 as follows:

2 - I've altered the level of a few spells. If a class or PrC grants a feat on one of its levels and the PC already has the feat, I allow the PC to take a similar feat (Die Hard instead of Endurance if the Ranger PC already has Endurance, for example).

3 - Sorcerers gain a feat at first level. I use the ability altering spells (Bear's Strength) from 3.0 instead of 3.5. I use a house variant of the UA Cloistered Cleric instead of the core Cleric. Some other options from UA are also heavily utilized (paragon races, variant classes, complex skill checks, taint, sanity, honor, etc), but technically they're RAW. I have altered the dwarf, elven, and gnome races and have droped the half-elf race. The half-orc race is replaced with a house variant LA +0 hobgoblin race.

4 - I throw out the Vancian system for the Elements of Magic System, Revised - altering all classes as necessary. I have also made the Paladin, Bard, and Ranger into PrCs, and I have removed Attacks of Opportunity. Or perhaps I use the Iron Heroes system - with or without Elements of Magic (or another non-Vancian magic system).

[[ Actually, now that I think of it, Iron Heroes with a variant Psionics system could be quite interesting. I know there was an attempt a while back to create a variant Elements of Magic system for use with Iron Heroes, but I think it was eatten with the other thousands of lost posts. ]]

As I do not know how to make a poll, if anyone else who does wants to set this revised version of this poll up (including examples of the various levels of 'No') I would not mind in the least.

Personally, I tend to vary between #3 and #4. Sometimes I use the 'original' system (ie: Vancian magic and a variety of house rules, #3), but usually I use one of the Elements of Magic systems (Revised or Mythic Earth) or a variant thereof, often with a variety of house rules which collectively leave it as definately a d20 game but probably not a D&D one.

beepeearr

First Post
No, I don't use the rules as currently written, a lot of my house rules are what I use from 3.0, and what I use from 3.5 though. I also don't use any of the noncaster classes as written, all have been tweaked here and there (the fighter included, though the rogue not so much).

But then again, I've never played in a RP game that didn't have house rules though, even if the house rules were unofficial and had more to do with poor understanding of the rules than any actual decision, so that might have colored my opinions on house rules.

Heck d20 is really just a collection of different peoples house rules, look at the differences between 3.0 and 3.5, were some of the changes neccesary, sure, but I think a lot of them where only made because a new design team was in charge, who had their own take on the game. Personally, I don't mind house rules, I just see them as a part of gaming.

Think, has anyone here actually ever played monopoly as it was originally intended to be played. So be proud of your house rules, and shout them from the roof tops, and remember any deviation from the core three rulebooks is what someone might call a house rule, since everything else is optional.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
<sigh...another binary poll>

It depends on the game and who is playing. I've never had to alter a HERO system rule, but I've run almost every other game I own both RAW and with house rules.

Think, has anyone here actually ever played monopoly as it was originally intended to be played.

I've never altered the rules of a boardgame except where obvious typos were involved, so yes, I play Monopoly RAW (though I currently only play the computer version of it).

skinnydwarf

Explorer
Mark said:

I voted No. I try to use the 3e rules as written, but I generally just play with the most basic forms. I don't look up DCs in the book for skills, I just wing it, I don't figure out who is surprised & who isn't during combat, etc. There are a lot of rules I simply don't use. I go with what I know, the rest be damned, unless a player knows it well.

I think I run 3e so loosely, it resembles the speed of C&C. I was just running a C&C game, and combat did not run especially faster than my normal 3e combats. Maybe it's because most of the time I ignore a lot of the rules. Or rather, fights occur in places where they don't matter. I never need to worry about cover, or fire damage, or height modifiers, for example- all my combats occur in a small open area. Maybe I should change things up to make them more interesting.

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You don't use free parking?

I don't know what you mean. Currently the ONLY copy of Monopoly I own is the official computer game version from Hasbro. In it, Free Parking is just a space you land on in which nothing happens, which is the way we always played. My boardgame version of it was destroyed in a flood in 1979, and I never replaced it.

Whether or not the computer game version conforms to the 1935 version of the rules, I couldn't say.

Hussar

Legend
Heh, do you use auctioning? That is part of the RAW for Monopoly which rarely sees the light of day.

I voted yes, mostly because I mostly use RAW. Or, rather, given the choice between using RAW and doing it myself, I'll use RAW, even if RAW gives wonky answers just to save time. I'm far too lazy to start tinkering with rulesets.

But, as was mentioned, I suppose my vote should technically be no since I do have some alterations.

Remove ads