Do You Use Your RPG Rules as Written?

Do You Use Your RPG Rules as Written?

• Yes

Votes: 129 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 227 63.8%

Roudi

First Post
I do not often use the core rules exactly as written. I tend to use my own work as I wrote it, but houseruling my own houserules seems kind of redundant (unless it's to fix my own errors).

Darkwolf445

First Post
Yes, RAW.
Otherwise I use another system to simulate what I wish to use.
Of course D&D still has Rule Zero(?)
Maybe, Rules as Designed might have been a good option?

Henry

Autoexreginated
I say, "90% or more as written." In my current Eberron game, I have a few:

1) All “orb” spells are evocations instead of Conjurations, and thus spell resistance applies to their use. WHY: Almost completely nullifies spell resistance and makes evokers almost obsolete.
2) Feat Double Wand Wielder from Complete arcane uses 1d4 charges per extra activation instead of 2 charges extra. WHY: Overshadows Cannith Wand Adept Prestige Class from Sharn City of Towers book.
3) Price for Drow Sleep Poison Doses raised to 750 gp each. WHY: Vastly underpriced for the effect.
4) Purple Worm Poison raised to 1000 gp each. WHY: Vastly underpriced for effect.
5) Eliminate “Damp Power” from Complete Psionic. WHY: Too low a cost which completely defangs targeted and area-effect damaging spells.

And as it stands, that's all. Everything else is book-as-written. If I add any future house rules, I allow my players to re-write the characters to make another choice, if so inclined.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
I voted yes, but I thought no... my error

No, I try to use common sense as much as I can. Rules lawyers not welcome.

Tharian

First Post
I believe that our group tends to use almost all the rules as written. That includes making use of errata to correct the rules to reflect what the designers intended the rules to accomplish. Basically, I'm in agreement with The Shaman.

Treebore

First Post
I don't delude myself into thinking I play a "pure" game of 3E, or DM one, I have plenty of house rules and so has everyone I ever played with. some that tweak and some that change things.

ThirdWizard

First Post
Mistwell said:
Oh come on, no options other than yes or no?

With a question that can be interprieted multiple ways. :\

Not only that, several people have answered "yes" for "mostly."

The poll works better as a psychological test to see people's reactions to a vague question with only a yes/no answer scheme. I'm beginning to wonder if that is the purpose of these polls, not to get any answers on the subject, but to see how people react. It fails the former, but the latter is an interesting read.

sydbar

Explorer
NO, and i don't know anyone who has used rules as written, in fact alot of 3rd is based on house rules created during 1st & 2nd editions.

Remove ads