• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do You Use Your RPG Rules as Written?

• Yes

Votes: 129 36.2%
  • No

Votes: 227 63.8%

Turanil

First Post
Mark said:
Except for a couple of minor aspects, I usually keep the rules as written. But I tend to add additional homebrew stuff (new classes, new feats, etc.). Of course, it also depends on the game.

Glyfair

Explorer
hexgrid said:
The poll doesn't ask if you use ALL the rules as written. The way it's set up, both 'yes' and 'no' would be valid answers for most people. So the poll results don't mean much.
I tend to agree that the question is uncanningly vague, perhaps even intentionally so.

What is "your RPG rules"?

Yes, I do use RPG rules as written. Yes, I do have house rules. Yes, I do occasionally make up a rule on the fly rather than look it up (and, about as often, I'll look up one I don't remember).

EricNoah

Adventurer
I add new material, and I change existing material. I try to avoid huge changes that trickle down too far into the rules, though I've experimented with such.

Gold Roger

First Post
I decided to stick to RAW as closely as possible.

The reason is simple: the system works. It may not emulate classical fantasy that well, but happily I'm not really in it for classical fantasy, but for a fun time.

I can give a new player the book and say "That's the rules" it's accessible and easy. If I meet someone and talk about the game we've got a good point of reference. If I introduce an expirienced player he knows exactly what to expect with RAW.

That said I'm not afraid of DM calls. I don't like rules referencing at the table will do a "quick and dirty" resolution if game would otherwise slow down. I'll tinker with Monsters and I definitely add my own rules.

I'll also change around class features and such to accomodate player's wishes. But I won't touch basic rules and I won't force players to do it my way.

No... I am a tinkerer. I love to tear a gaming system apart and see what I can make it do. I literally cannot help it. For instance, when D&D 3.0 first came out, I told my group that we should run it for a while as is before we go screwing around with it, that way we could see what things it does really well, and what things it could use some massaging on. Well... My group was agreeable to that idea and that's what we did... We ran D&D 3.0 pretty well untouched for... I don't know... maybe a year. And by that time I was raring to get at the thing, tear it apart and see what it would look like when I put it back together again. The emergence of other d20 games has, if possible made my tendancy to do this even worse. The plethora of similar rule-sets has given me the opportunity to look at tons of alternate takes on the same themes, and all with an air of officiality that you just don't get with net-published house rules.

Anyway... uh. I voted "no"

Later
silver

TheAuldGrump

First Post
The Shaman said:
My house rules tend to be tweaks here and there rather than whole-sale systemic changes, so I would say yes, pretty much.
No, going by the way the question is written as soon as you change one thing you are not playing the game as written.

Once again I feel that Mark has put in too few options.

The Auld Grump

Remove ads