• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do your PCs' actions carry over into your next campaign?

Well, do they?

• No: I like to begin each campaign in a different area and so such changes don't matter.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No: I like to start over fresh with my homebrewed setting as I wrote it.

• No: I like to start over fresh with a published setting as I bought it.

• Poll closed .

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
It's a simple question. As an example: The PCs from your last campaign managed to expose Prince John of England as being manipulated by Orcus to the detriment of the kingdom, and restore good King Richard to the throne.

In your next game, will Prince John be exposed and King Richard ruling England?

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
There's now a poll!

I voted "Other" because it truly depends entirely on whether or not I'm inspired by what happened at the conclusion of the previous game, whether I'm using a homebrewed or a published setting. I tend towards keeping changes in a homebrewed game and resetting changes in a published setting, as well as changing the answer to a published setting's mysteries like "What created the Mournland?" in Eberron.

Last edited:

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Mh,

I consider the Scarred Lands my homebrew. ;) So whatever I say goes. :p Answers might change to some questions (like "What is the Jack of Tears?") (Mechanic wise I like him that way, but not 100% sold on his "psionic" origins.), but most the answers stay the same. Well except the Forsaken elves, cause they stay forsaken. :p :)

Always pick up after the previous game...even if its different players involved. I love the idea of a world where the players really have a lasting influence. And anyway, it makes it easier for me to think up new campaign ideas...just look at what the happened in the last one and see what can be built out of that.

Xyanthon

First Post
For me it really just depends. If the characters are in a published setting as opposed to a homebrew, if the players want to create new characters in the same setting they last played in, etc. So I guess there would be a range of factors to consider when ending a campaign and starting a new one because sometimes it is hard to leave a setting and sometimes the burnout factor settles in so restarting from a fresh perspective is best.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
My current campaign(s) are the... er... some number in the same version of the World of Greyhawk.

Let's count shall we:
#1: the original AD&D campaign I played in, where I created Meliander the Mage.
#2: the AD&D 2E campaign I and my brother ran, set around the temple of Xan-Yae.
#3: the very first 3E campaign I ran, continuing the adventures of one PC from #2 and his new friends, picking up on threads from #1 and #2.
#4: the first Ulek campaign
#5: the Great Kingdom Campaign
#6 (current): the Age of Worms campaign
#7 (current): the second Ulek campaign

OK, #6 and #7, all in the same version of Greyhawk. Over 20 players over slightly under 20 years.

Cheers!

ThirdWizard

First Post
I pretty much run each campaign as a self-contained entity. What happens in one campaign doesn't affect what happens in the next. In fact, what's true in one might not be true in the other. For example, in one campaign the source of all magic might be an artifact, and in another it might be a dreaming god. So, it would be impossible to have them be canon with each other.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads