• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do your PCs' actions carry over into your next campaign?

Well, do they?

• No: I like to begin each campaign in a different area and so such changes don't matter.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No: I like to start over fresh with my homebrewed setting as I wrote it.

• No: I like to start over fresh with a published setting as I bought it.

• Poll closed .

shilsen

Adventurer
Nightfall said:
Mh,

Depends. Maybe I want to have them both die horribly by manipulations of clerics of Orcus! ;)
You're kidding, right? Who in their right minds would worship that fat twit :D?

As for the OP's question, I haven't DMed long enough for such a situation to come up. I have, however, run two Eberron games concurrently (different groups) in the same timeline, with the actions of each group affecting the other and the two groups even meeting once. Each group of players seemed to enjoy the fact that their actions had repercussions which affected not only them but other people too.

TheGM

First Post
I use several campaign worlds (all homebrew), and in that world, the actions of each and every PC have lasting impact - just depends on when the next campaign is.

For my core world of Nordalia, there are almost always several groups adventuring, and they can even effect each other in real-time. For the others it is pretty hit and miss, it can go a year or two between campaigns in that world.

In general, the actions of PCs give a flavor to a world that I very much like. It's not "whatever was published" or "whatever we set up", it's that as a starting point, then the adventures of the heroes make the great tales of the future.

Not for everyone, admittedly, but we have fun with it.

Don.

Masquerade

First Post
My next campaign is a sequel of sorts to my previous one. Typically I start with a fresh setting, but my players really enjoyed the last game, so, in this case, yes, previous actions will most certainly have had an impact.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I have not, to date, used the same campaign setting twice. I am not dead set against it, so I don't want to say "I never do", but the occasion simply hasn't arisen in any game I've run.

Mokona

First Post
mhacdebhandia said:
In your next game, will Prince John be exposed and King Richard ruling England?
One of the potential answers is wrong in that it contradicts itself in relation to the question. :p
  • No: I like to begin each campaign in a different area and so such changes don't matter.
The question is, "do your PC's actions carry over" and if those actions do carry over but they don't matter it should say "Yes: But I like to begin each campaign in a different area or era so such changes don't matter". :\ Or it could say, "Sorta: I like to begin each campaign in a different area or era so such changes don't matter".

I chose the first "Yes" answer because that is most important but the above, corrected, answer truly represents my games. :cool:

Tsillanabor

First Post
I'm about to start my second campaign in the same world. If the characters journey to Frostmoot they will likely hear of the band of heroes who stopped the zombie apocalypse.

demiurge1138

Inventor of Super-Toast
Usually, yes. All of my games in connected published worlds have events from previous games as history. My FR/Greyhawk/Planescape games are all interconnected, and all of my Eberron games take place in the same continuity.

My homebrews generally don't fit in anywhere concretely, because they tend to be relatively weird. But, for example, if I were to run another game set in the all reptilian world I made, the events of the last game would be canon.

Demiurge out.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads