• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Do your PCs' actions carry over into your next campaign?

Well, do they?

• No: I like to begin each campaign in a different area and so such changes don't matter.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No: I like to start over fresh with my homebrewed setting as I wrote it.

• No: I like to start over fresh with a published setting as I bought it.

• Poll closed .

mhacdebhandia

Explorer
If you run games in a published setting and you carry over changes from one campaign to the next, do you allow major changes to take place as a result of your PCs' actions? For instance, healing the Mournland in Eberron, eliminating Iuz in Greyhawk, or destroying the Harper organisation in the Forgotten Realms?

Last edited:

Homebrew or published setting matters not to me. All a published setting actually IS anyway is just a way to have a lot of the groundwork done for me when I feel too lazy or uninspired to change it. But, that aside I don't have any real problem whatsoever with having one campaign bleed into the next in terms of PC's, NPC's, settings, events... I just tend to avoid it as my experience with such things is that players often spend more effort trying to re-live the glory days instead of thinking more about NEW adventures, with NEW characters, etc. Part of the problem there is that my campaigns generally fade away and then it gets to be longer and longer time periods before I can actually start up another one. Years even. That tends to put a bit of a damper on trying to play D&D: The Next Generation. [Speaking of which, don't you think that the Trek franchise can be used as a caution about what can happen if you try to go to the same well just once too often?]

Crothian

First Post
mhacdebhandia said:
If you run games in a published setting and you carry over changes from one campaign to the next, do you allow major changes to take place as a result of your PCs' actions? For instance, healing the Mournland in Eberron, eliminating Iuz in Greyhawk, or destroying the Harper organisation in the Forgotten Realms?

I would if they happened.

Chimera

First Post
I'm on Campaign 7 in my Homebrew.

Sometimes it affects the next, sometimes not. It depends on when and where I set the next campaign. I've jumped continents, I've jumped time periods. My last campaign definitely set up the current one, but the last campaign had no connection to any previous campaign.

GuardianLurker

Adventurer
Yes. My 2e games are part of the backstory of the 3e world.

However, the next 3e games I play are in an entirely new and unrelated campaign world, so no history carries over.

When I return to my original world, new campaigns will either be set in the past or in another region (possibly both), so carryover is likely to be minimal at best.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Are you joking? I have trouble getting my players to remember that their characters' actions carry over into this campaign.

-- N

Davelozzi

Explorer
In principle, I say yes it matters (regardless of homebrew or published, though since it was not multiple choice and I am currently using a homenbrew, I voted that way).

In practice, none of my campaigns have overlapped geographically enough for it to come up.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
mhacdebhandia said:

Yes. Although, for Greyhawk, it's a lot easier to ignore stuff that isn't being created. Mind you, I ignored the Greyhawk Wars as well (or at least, used a version that is quite different to what was printed).

IMC, Vecna replaced Iuz due to the players mucking up "Vecna Lives!" That then changed the emphasis of the Blades of Corusk series by having Iuz trying to regain a powerbase. Lots of fun.

The PCs managed to _not_ stop the Fane of Scales (see a recent Dungeon Magazine) when it fell in the Great Kingdom, nor did they stop Daglan (of Feast of Goblyns) from taking over part of the Great Kingdom, so that's caused the GK to be very nasty indeed.

Ulek is currently in an Ice Age due to the incursion of the Fhoi Myore - I rather hope the PCs are able to stop them!

Fortunately, the Champion's Games passed successfully for the forces of weal, so I don't have a large undead uprising in the Free City.

Cheers!

Psion

Adventurer
MerricB said:
Yes. Although, for Greyhawk, it's a lot easier to ignore stuff that isn't being created. Mind you, I ignored the Greyhawk Wars as well (or at least, used a version that is quite different to what was printed).

IMC, Vecna replaced Iuz due to the players mucking up "Vecna Lives!" That then changed the emphasis of the Blades of Corusk series by having Iuz trying to regain a powerbase. Lots of fun.

The PCs managed to _not_ stop the Fane of Scales (see a recent Dungeon Magazine) when it fell in the Great Kingdom, nor did they stop Daglan (of Feast of Goblyns) from taking over part of the Great Kingdom, so that's caused the GK to be very nasty indeed.

Ulek is currently in an Ice Age due to the incursion of the Fhoi Myore - I rather hope the PCs are able to stop them!

Fortunately, the Champion's Games passed successfully for the forces of weal, so I don't have a large undead uprising in the Free City.

See, there's something about that that resonates with me. It makes the PCs exploits seem that much more meaningful when you make it clear that if they fail, there will be consequences.

Remove ads