Doctor Who 2007, Episode 1: "Smith and Jones" (Spoilers likely)

Rykion

Explorer
wolff96 said:
Interesting that they chose a companion with some actual skills this time around -- no offense to Rose, who was an amazing companion, but she was a shop-girl. Martha is most of the way to being a doctor. Has he ever had such educated companions before, in the old runs of the show?
Liz Shaw and Harry Sullivan were medical doctors. Liz also had degrees in other scientific fields. Grace Holloway was also a doctor, but she only appeared in the 8th Doctor's sole story so might not be considered a companion. Zoe and Adric were both mathematical geniuses. Romana was a Timelord. So the Doctor has had other well educated companions.

Ed_Laprade

Adventurer
I really liked this one! But there was one annoying bit. Martha watched the villain make her 'If I'm going, I'm taking you with me' speach and plug in the extension cord. When the rhinos did their 'Not our job' bit and walked out after confirming that she'd started something lethal, why didn't she go over and pull the D*** plug?!

Capellan

Explorer
As with all things nerdy, Wikipedia has a full list of companions.

Quite a large number were either well-educated (Susan, Liz, Harry, Grace, Zoe, Adric, Romana, Nyssa) or had other useful skills (the Brigadier, Sarah Jane, Leela, K-9). And some were just useless (Tegan, Peri). :)

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Great episode, although the weird is-it-sexual-or-is-it-not tension with all the companions in the modern Dr. Who is getting a bit tiresome. Either DO IT already, or DON'T, stop mucking about! :p (This wouldn't be an issue if Martha wasn't insanely hot, of course.)

I'm amused that there are people alive in Britain at this point who don't know all about UFOs and such.

I like the Saxon stuff. The season-long teases have all been great up until this point, and if it does indeed turn out to be the Master, I love it. In comics, the LSH has had presidential/government officials who were secretly mastermind villains (Universo and Ras Al Ghul) and it's a great natural fit. Taking over the Doctor's beloved Britain would certainly be in character for a longtime rival.

Volaran

First Post
Capellan said:
As with all things nerdy, Wikipedia has a full list of companions.

Quite a large number were either well-educated (Susan, Liz, Harry, Grace, Zoe, Adric, Romana, Nyssa) or had other useful skills (the Brigadier, Sarah Jane, Leela, K-9). And some were just useless (Tegan, Peri). :)

I think Peri was a botanist, but it isn't as though it came up very often.

Shadeydm

First Post
Cthulhudrew said:
You know, I've seen that speculation too, and it seems to make sense (anagrammatically), but if Simm (or anyone else) plays the Master, they will technically be the Seventh, won't they?

1) Roger Delgado
2) Peter Pratt
3) Some other dude (playing the same regeneration as Pratt's)
4) Anthony Ainley
5) Some dude who gets killed by the Daleks
6) Eric Roberts

(I'm sure those other guys have names, but I don't feel like bothering with Wikipedia or IMDB at the moment. I only remember the second icky-faced guy from the last time I Wiki'd the Master).

Does Eric Roberts or anything else from that movie really count as "cannon" I seem to recall that in that show the Doctor was a human scientist or something bizzaro like that.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Shadeydm said:
Does Eric Roberts or anything else from that movie really count as "cannon" I seem to recall that in that show the Doctor was a human scientist or something bizzaro like that.
You're thinking of the movies from the 60s with Peter Cushing - he was a human scientist in those. The McGann tv movie is indeed canon (in a later episode in this series you'll get to see McGann's Doctor's face in a scene showing the faces of all the Doctors to date).

As for the anagram thing, it would be a real spoiler to answer the question either way. If you really want to know, highlight below, but be warned that it will spoil some real treats for you:
*start spoiler*
Mister Saxon is indeed an anagram for Master No. Six. The number counts regenerations, not actors. In order, they have been: Roger Delgado, Peter Pratt/Geoffrey Beevers (the decayed incarnation), Anthony Ainley/Gordon Tipple (it's assumed that Tipple played the end of Ainley's incarnation, due to similar dress and the animal eyes), Eric Roberts, Derek Jacobi and John Simm.
*end spoiler*

Mark Hope said:
*start spoiler*
Mister Saxon is indeed an anagram for Master No. Six. The number counts regenerations, not actors. In order, they have been: Roger Delgado, Peter Pratt/Geoffrey Beevers (the decayed incarnation), Anthony Ainley/Gordon Tipple (it's assumed that Tipple played the end of Ainley's incarnation, due to similar dress and the animal eyes), Eric Roberts, Derek Jacobi and John Simm.
*end spoiler*

According to Russel Davies,
the anagram--despite being accurate--is entirely coincidental. Not sure if I believe him, but that's the claim.

Mark Hope

Adventurer
Mouseferatu said:
According to Russel Davies,
the anagram--despite being accurate--is entirely coincidental. Not sure if I believe him, but that's the claim.
He is a big, fat liar and doesn't like being caught out.

:uhoh:

Remove ads